Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > have or have got for the question and negative form??!!!    

have or have got for the question and negative form??!!!

dufffy
France

have or have got for the question and negative form??!!!

Just a simple question!

I know we can say -  I have got a dog or I have a dog.
and we can say- Do you have a dog? or Have you got a dog ?
and  I haven �t got a dog or I don �t have a dog .
But, can we say - Have you a dog? or  You haven �t a dog and Haven �t you a dog?

25 Feb 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

you said:

I know we can say -  I have got a dog or I have a dog.
and we can say- Do you have a dog? or Have you got a dog ?
and  I haven �t got a dog or I don �t have a dog . everything is correct! in red you have the verbs!

But Have you a dog? Haven �t you a dog? you can �t say that because the verb is incomplete (BE is the only verb that doesn �t need an auxialiary in a question)
 You haven �t a dog here it �s the same: either you consider "have" as an auxiliary, and you must add "got", or you consider "have" as a verb, and you need "do"

is it clear??
Elodie

25 Feb 2010     

poki
Slovenia

I agree with ELOJOLIE274.

Have you a dog?  - decide whether you want to use the verb have got or to have in this question.   So the two possibilites are: Have you got a dog? or Do you have a dog?

Haven �t you a dog?  - the same, use with have got or to have. So: Haven �t you got a dog? or Don �t you have a dog?

You haven�t a dog. - again the same rule: You haven �t got a dog. or You don �t have a dog.

I hope I helped you. :)

25 Feb 2010     

dufffy
France

That is what I thought but then I found   I have two sisters / I haven �t any brothers and Has Sarah many animals?  You haven �t much  money! in my  Oxford English grammar  book  and they just say have got  is used in speech and  have is more formal!!!
In my Longman active grammar I found Have they a motorboat too?  They say we can use have as a main verb with the meaning own or possess. To make a question with have as a main verb,we simple invert subject and verb, i.e They have ..... becomes  Have they .......? or we can use the auxilary DO. We cannot use have in progressive tenses if it has the meaning of possesion or ownership because these are states not action!!!!! What doyou think??!!!

25 Feb 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Elodie,

Be careful when being prescriptive. Have you thought about the lack of an auxiliary with �have � in the well-known nursery rhyme, Baa Baa, Black Sheep?

Baa, Baa, Black Sheep,
Have you any wool?
etc.

Or in the rebuke (this used to be fairly common at one time on this very site!):

Have you no shame?

I �m sure there are many more and that there are perfectly sound philological reasons for their existence but the fact remains that this construction does exist and is in current usage.

Anyway, I hope you have a nice day.

Alex

25 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Almaz is in fact correct.. check your grammar books.

You can say:

You have got a car. - You haven �t got a car. - Have you got a car?

You have a car. - You don �t have a car. - Do you have a car?

You have a car. - You haven �t a car. - Have you a car? *** This form may sound strange but it is acceptable. 

25 Feb 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

It doesn �t sound strange to me at all.

"Have you time?"
"Have you a CD player at home?"
"Have you any idea what you �re doing?"

I say things like that all the time.
Maybe it�s a regional thing, having died out in some places but not others.

I know they say something like "Habst du" and "Haben Sie" in German, and some of us still say it in English too!

25 Feb 2010     

dufffy
France

Thank you, Almaz and Zora. I  am working as a team with another teacher and the same students  (who are doing a 150hr intense course with us) I explained this to them and said we hardly used the inversion form but we could come across it. He told me and them I was wrong !!! I started doubting myself!

25 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

In the US, we wouldn �t say "Have you a car?", but I think it is used in England.

Bruce

25 Feb 2010