Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ask for help!    

Ask for help!

dufffy
France

I �m English as well and the shall form is quite often used in my family. I think cchat is right, but it is the more  formal form of speech. Nothing to do with age or being pedantic!!! Another thing, not everyone uses the abbreviated form automatically when speaking either! 

25 Feb 2010     

epit
Turkey

Thank you  for everyone who gave respond. Iwas wondering the usage of shall .I learned it.Briefly Ihaven �t taught the form of shall lately . If it is still used I will tell my pupils.Thank you.

25 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

I don �t know where Rabbitwho gets his/her information, but in the US, we definitely do use "shall" in suggestions. It is fading away, though. We now often say "Do you want me to...?" or "Do you want to...?" or "Would you like me to...?" or "Would you like to...?"

Sometimes we use "should" for "shall" in suggestions. "It �s hot in here. Should I open a window?" The meaning is a little different from "shall", but we ignore that.

Mostly I agree with Douglas.

Bruce

25 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2