Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > intervene?    

intervene?

@dbz
Costa Rica

intervene?

There is a bank which went out of business. What is the name of the process or action the auditor or comptroller is performing? auditing? It is because I don�t think the word "intervene" is correct. In my country, at least, it is very common to hear the bank is being "intervenido" from "intervenir" which is to prevent the bank from operating. The auditor then, checks accounts, balances, and so on

1 Mar 2010      

anaisabel001
Spain

I think the verb (intervenir) might be to block or freeze a bank account.Hope it helps

1 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Possibly put into administration - usually used with  �by court order �?

1 Mar 2010     

caroay
Spain

I think in that context you may be able to use "audit". You may say the bank is being audited, usually by an auditor that checks accounts, etc. and is appointed by some external institution. How does it sound to you?

1 Mar 2010     

cagreis
Portugal

I agree with caroay - An auditor performs audits, which is to "evaluate", "assess", "control", etc.

1 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

But @dbz says the bank has gone out of business. An audit is basically an inspection or review of accounts. Being placed in �administration � would refer to managing a company which is, for example, insolvent.

I �m not a native Spanish speaker nor am I an expert in insolvency law, but this seems to be the most appropriate.

Hope this helps,

Alex

1 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi @dbz

There are a number of applicable terms including insolvency, receivership, liquidation, and as almaz said, administration.  They all have different meanings depending on the legal status of the buiness at the time.  These may also vary between countries. 

I think almaz is correct in saying that the best word at this time is administration.  In Australia this is a temporary period whereby a court appointed or voluntary administrator investigates the entity and decides how the entity will proceed i.e. can it be saved or will it have to close down.  If it can be saved it goes into receivership where someone else takes over for a while.  If it closes down it goes into liquidation and the entity is wound up.  These processes can be voluntary or involuntary.

The administrator will employ auditors to audit the books.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jayho

1 Mar 2010