Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ..................................    

______
Germany

19 Nov 2008      

mena22
Portugal

Thank you for calling our attention Silke! Sweet dreams!

19 Nov 2008     

morganalin
Portugal

Well, I found another stolen worksheet, which talks about Bart�s Simpson daily routine. Don�t download it because it�s STOLEN!!! 

19 Nov 2008     

trelly
Argentina

Hi all :)
I don�t like this thing of stolen ws, as I�ve said before, but the problem here is that we are all worried about what others do.
I think, in this particular case, that the ws is not stolen. Why? Because someone used information from a website on tongue twisters. But:
-this user didn�t cite source
(of course, one may argue tongue twisters appear in many sites and books!)
-the user didn�t even provide an activity to do with the tongue twisters.

One may argue that if you think that this should be modified, teachers who uploaded a list of irregular verbs are stealing too! What about song worksheets?

What I think is more important here, is that this forum was created to share information and help other teachers, not to accuse others of "stealing" worksheets or whatever. Half the topics in the forum are about stolen worksheets. Don�t you think that just by reporting it or by leaving a NICE comment on the ws is enough?

As you, Ladybird, write in the title of this topic, this is a neverending story! There are LOTS of stolen worksheets. There are users who, still knowing they are stolen, decide to download them. There is no use in leaving messages in the forum each time a user finds a stolen worksheet.

There are lots of nicer things to talk about here! 

Have a good night�s sleep!

Trelly :)

19 Nov 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Trelly,

I couldn�t have expressed it better. �I 100% agree with you.

19 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Trelly,

Maybe you are right, but I think that reporting and telling everybody that a ws is stolen may discourage this type of behaviour.

Besides there are regulations that we have to follow in order to make this site  serious. Look at this copyright regulations regarding the material that you upload on the Internet:

19 Nov 2008     

VeraM
Portugal

Hi, everyone!

I totally agree with Trelly. Adding to that is the fact that I�ve recently been accused of stealing a worksheet and I never did. And this is very unpleasant, I have to say.

Well, I hope you don�t get me wrong but this kind of mood totally ruins the purpose of this website, I think. (I�m not justifying the people who actually take advantage of other people�s effort. I still think that�s not right).

Anyway, as Trelly says "There are lots of nicer things to talk about here!"

See you around!

19 Nov 2008     

skarfreak
Philippines

I do agree with TRELLY... anyway, it�s not really a big deal.. don�t u think?

19 Nov 2008     

karenp
United States

I think there are nicer things to talk about here but people should put the source when coping and pasting something or at least make modifications I mean are you telling me that it is correct to copy something from another website past it here and put the source and get 50 pts ? and in the meantime I am spending time putting a worksheet together while others dont even care? Maybe this may not be the website for those who steal worksheets and like I said before these stolen worksheets stay posted anyway so what difference does it make? eventually everybody is going to start doing that because nobody cares.

19 Nov 2008     

trelly
Argentina

Damielle, I read the regulations on creative commons, but the thing here is that many times, this "stolen ws reports" are like this one - one person used tongue twisters (what I guess are known by many of us) - and there is someone that says that stole the material.

It�s true that there are certain ws that are 100% a copy of others (not to say that they are the same ws other users uploaded) but I think that these people who upload stolen material don�t care about our opinions - they just want points to get their downloads.

You may think I�m crazy, but each time I see a stolen ws message, I believe that or users google everything they download, or they have so many points they downloaded most ws here! I�ve got lots of materials to work with thanks to this site and the teachers who upload their work, and I really know how disgusting it is when someone uses your creations on his/her name.

In this particular case, I guess it�s like the irregular verbs list, as I�ve said before. I remember one user here - Victoria I think - mentioned that you can use material taken from other sites without problems if you use them for a different purpose. (For example, if you use an article from a newspaper or magazine to create a worksheet on reading comprehension) Of course you have to cite source, but in that case, there is no stolen material.
The problem is when you use some text - I can remember the story about Perfect Penny, from Backpack 2 - and you create a reading ws with that text and the activities provided by the book. This would be considered stolen material.

I think it was yesterday that I saw a message here, regarding the amount of posts that there are in the forum, and the difficulties one comes accross when trying to look for a message you previously read. Perhaps the solution would be using a single thread just to report stolen materials  - I don�t know, it�s just an idea.

There are many opinions regarding this subject matter, but what I wanted to say was just that there are so many messages like this one that it seems we are all worried just on the stolen worksheets matter. Again, I�m pretty sure that those who upload stolen material are not frequent forum readers/users. Just reporting the ws, makes a difference. As far as I know, those users who upload stolen material are banned from the site. They may come back, but if they do the same, they will be banned again. But bear in mind that there is just one person behind this site, and it is really difficult to find each single stolen ws! I agree with Karenp about the points subject, because it�s really unfair for those who take their time to create beautiful worksheets. It is also true, as Veram said, that this permanent accusing people of this or that ruins the mood here.

Again, I�m crazy perhaps, but I can�t avoid thinking about people (I imagine them like the little boy who went crazy with his keyboard, remember him?) looking in other people�s ws to see the ones who got lots of points, with a Mr Burns� look when they finally find it and upload it as theirs xD

Could it be that these people continue uploading stolen material because they want to be mentioned here in the forum? ;)

19 Nov 2008