Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Popsicles    

Popsicles

mjotab
Spain

Popsicles

Hello, can you help me? I am looking for the translation of "polo" (ice water with flavour and with a stick in it) Is popsicle the word for that? And how do you call its stick? "the popsickle stick"?
Thanks a lot

13 Mar 2010      

GIOVANNI
Canada

Yes, it is called a popsicle and the stick is called a popsicle stick.

13 Mar 2010     

dosjulia
Spain

In my opinion, "polo"  is translated more frequently as "ice lolly". So the stick is the "ice lolly stick". But your translation is also correct.
Hugs
Julia

13 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

In the UK dosjulia is correct - it �s ice lolly and the stick is a lollipop stick. I assume popsicle is the US!

14 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

Correct assumption, Ishorton99. It �s worth noting that Popsicle is a brand name, but everyone uses it generically.

While we �re on the subject of ice lolly and lollipop, I �ll add that a lollipop (not ice) is a hard candy on a stick. Here in the US, we usually call it a sucker (because you suck on it to eat it).

Bruce

14 Mar 2010     

mjotab
Spain

Thanks to all of you. Ice lolly is easier to pronounce and memorise, I think, and my memory is not what is used to be :)

14 Mar 2010