Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Helping students speak and use the language to communicate..............    

Helping students speak and use the language to communicate..............

Samantha.esl
Italy

Helping students speak and use the language to communicate..............

Hello!

I am working with a new group of students and the head teacher asked me to prepare material to work with them but she especially wants them to speak, and use the language. She explained that students are not used to this but to do thousands of grammar drills which are boring and they aren �t able to speak the languge.

However, even though they have been studying grammar and doing drills for such a long time they have a very very low level of the language! So I don �t know how to start! I mean, I �ve found that they have a hard time reading texts, they don �t understand things even though they are in simple present. They haven �t acquired vocabulary, they don �t understand most words... (even though they have seen it).

So, I need your ideas, suggestions on how to teach and help these students SPEAK.
Edit: I forgot to clarify that students are between 14 to 17

Thank you!!

14 Mar 2010      

libertybelle
United States

I agree. First they should learn to speak and then you can sneak the grammar in later.

The best way I get my students to speak a lot is to give them conversation cards, boardgames or pictures to discuss together.

They speak twice as much doing pair work, then they do with speaking to the teacher, AND they don �t feel stupid speaking in front of the whole class.
There are lots of board games here and conversation cards - or you can make the cards yourself or with the help of your students. You can make them by category, such as:
Family
pets
hobbies and sports
questions and answers
what ever you think is exciting!

Good luck
L

14 Mar 2010     

Mariethe House
France

see your pm

14 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

If I were you I would download a lot of cardgames and pairwork worksheets at eslprintables.
 Start with the very simple ones + ALWAYS write some examples what they should say...
Eg. If there is a pairwork story with missing time expressions, write the example questions... Give a lot of examples, this may help...
And boardgames for groups of 10 students (divide the big class into three groups...)
and let the students decorate the boardgames with small illustrations / stickers, they like it better then...

PAST

PRESENT

FUTURE

What did

When did

What do

How often do

What will

When will

I

study

yesterday

work

every day

buy

next week

my friend

break

last week

ask

often

come

this month

Mr Obama

teach

4 years ago

lend

sometimes

arrive

tonight

she

read

last month

forget

never

give

tomorrow

they

swim

5 days ago

sing

seldom

visit

next month

it (dog/cat)

go

last Sunday

sleep

usually

run

this evening

Try something like this and delete some textboxes - pair work - revision of questions making about past, present and future...

And go through the links you have from my ws... there are thousands of short stories, some very very simple... you may ask ss to write few keywords and retell the stories to the partner / class...

I know it�s hard but I am sure you can manage!

14 Mar 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

I would say start with basic dialogues, like introducing themselves, talk about favourite things, and then maybe you could use some images/pictures and challange them to find as many words as possible, then link them in simple sentences so to describe the image. After that you could expand those sentences or turn them into dialogues.

Good luck with them!

14 Mar 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Thank you dear teachers for your help! and pms!!

14 Mar 2010