Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > BLACK AND WHITE VERSIONS    

BLACK AND WHITE VERSIONS

lagringa
Argentina

BLACK AND WHITE VERSIONS

hello, Everybody. As you will notice, I am not an expert with the computer. today my question is: is there a quick and easy way of turning my colour worksheets into a black and white version?thanks for your answers in advance.

15 Mar 2010      

Vivi Quir
Argentina

te mande un PM!!!

15 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

IF all textboxes are grouped, you can change the whole one big "group of textboxes" into BW in 3 clicks :-()
Dead easy in Word 2002  - ctrl+click on all textboxes / pictures / shapes, rightclick mouse -grouping-group
go to Format of the grouped page and change the colour into while and line colour to black or gray...
(click on the top - green dot - menu Format - colour tab - colour change to White / no colour)

very easy in Word 2007 too Tongue ..... see the following post...

BTW the grouping prevents problems with messy worksheets... Ungrouped worksheets can be all mixed up when opened in other version of Word or another computer...

15 Mar 2010     

chiconattuu
Japan

you do not need to change the worksheets into  a black and white version.
when you print out those worksheet, just choose the black and white version.
you will get the black and white worksheets anyway.

15 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

@hiconattuu  Well yes, if we print the colour worksheet in black printer, we get a blurry not-easy-to read texts with horrible shades of grey...
It is neither printer friendly (toner friendly) nor readable (pretty).

If we share grouped textboxes / pictures, the fill-in colour can be changed into white very fast.
Then we have a white sheet of paper with black lines and black text!
Beautiful, easy to read, printer friendly aaaand very handy for printing in large amounts!

in Word 2007
  1. If you want to change multiple textboxes/shapes to the same color, click the first shape, and then press and hold CTRL while you click the other shapes. Group the textboxes/shapes.
  2. Under SmartArt Tools, on the Format tab, in the Shape Styles group, click the arrow next to Shape Fill, and then click the color that you want. To choose no color, click No Fill.
So, let�s count... Who wants to print the gray worksheets? and who prefers the printer friendly versions?? :-D
Just kidding...

15 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

I choose pictures which have clear outline. Then i choose the picture, go to picture tools - recolor - black and white.
Not always it turns out to be that easy. Sometimes i make change the brightness to fade other colors a bit and sometimes i choose transparent color to make one color disappear with the outline left. With some pictures it �s easy and takes a second, with others it �s a bit more complicated but i usually manage to make it work.
It �s certainly saves a lot of ink if your wss are b&w rather than greyscale, it �s a huge difference.
If you have more questions or want details, feel free to pm me, i �ll be ready to help out.
Thinking to create a tutorial on thatGeek, i wonder if it�s gonna be useful, or are there already tutorials on this?
By the way, @ moravc, in Word 2007 if i group pics there�s no way to turn them b&w, is there? And besides each picture needs some adjustments to look nice in outline.

15 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Color and greyscale VS black and white. Does it make much of a difference? I �m sure it does.

15 Mar 2010     

lagringa
Argentina

Thanks to all of you. I will read all the answers carefully so that I will be able to do it. I have already used the changing into grayscale but I did not know that you can change contrast in black and white. but what I really want to know if I can turn a coloured ws without pictures into a black and white one. Today I wanted to upload a B&W version of my ws but the only thing I could do was to copy and paste everything again and then change the colour. It took a lot of time because because every time I copied my text they change the numbers. It would be a good thing if somebody could upload vocabulary related to Word since only I know the most elementary words. thanks a millon for being so helpful. Bye Lagringa.

15 Mar 2010     

DrKnow
Germany

Che Gringa,

If I knew what format your worksheet was in I could tell you how to convert them. If it �s a JPG, gif or other picture format you culd download (free and very easy to use) Irfan viewer http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/3000-2192_4-10021962.html?part=dl-IrfanView&subj=dl&tag=button. Install it (choose the open all photos in irfan viewer option) once installed you can simply double click on the picture file. It will open in irfanview. Then click image  and choose convert to grayscale. Then click file then save as and pick a new name so you don �t overwrite the original color version. I hope this will not be too complicated. If this isn �t the kind of file you need to convert write me ( hotmailsucks(at)gmx(dot)de ) and tell me the knd of file you have. If you like this send me a bag of Rosamonte ;-)

Mark

15 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

lagringa, contact me via PM...
It is quite easy to make BW version from worksheet consisting of colourful textboxes (frames with text...)
I will guide you step by step...

15 Mar 2010