Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > EXPLAIN ME , PLEASE !!!    

EXPLAIN ME , PLEASE !!!

renko6
Poland

EXPLAIN ME , PLEASE !!!

Maybe it is a stupid question , but I have a little problem.
My students asked me what is a difference between 2 words and when we use them in the sentences.
They words are : town & city.
I really didn �t know what to say them Embarrassed and maybe somebody can help me, please.Smile
Thanks for your help
Renia

17 Mar 2010      

anaisabel001
Spain

Have a look at these links.They may help you.

http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzcitytown.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City

17 Mar 2010     

jdrc
Spain

It�s said that a City has a cathedral and a town doesn�t.

17 Mar 2010     

HARIM
Morocco

HiRenia,

According to the Britannica Concise Encyclopedia:A city is a relatively permanent and highly organized centre of population, of greater size or importance than a town or village (and this is more or less the way we explain it to our students although sometimes there �s no clear cut distinction)

According to Wikipedia:
A city is a relatively large and permanent settlement, particularly a large urban settlement. Although there is no agreement on how a city is distinguished from a town within general English language meanings, many cities have a particular administrative, legal, or historical status based on local law
Cheers

17 Mar 2010     

renko6
Poland

Hug
anaisabel
jdrc
HARIM

Thank your for your help, you saved my life Wink
Renia

18 Mar 2010     

dturner
Canada

As a native speaker, I simply think a city is larger and more important than a town.  In rural areas however, it gets even harder.  I live in an area where the city and the township with the same name.  Can you believe that?  Tourists and those new to the area are always confused.  In this case, the township is actually bigger than the city, but the city has been established longer.  

18 Mar 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

I disagree that a city is always larger and more important.  In England we have some very small cities and very big towns, as jdrc rightly stated a city has a cathedral.

18 Mar 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I was taught at school that a city had to have a cathedral, a university and a river. - as well as being more important and usually bigger than a town. I come from Newcastle - a small city in the north of England, which has all three.

18 Mar 2010