Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Doubt about vocabulary:     

Doubt about vocabulary:

MsPoppins
Spain

Doubt about vocabulary:

Dear all,
how do you call a usually fenced-in place with recycling containers for all types of products: oil, paper, electronic devices...? In Spanish we call these places "puntos de reciclaje".
One of my students translated it as "recycling point", is this used in English or just a literal translation from Spanish? I can think of "recycling spot" recycling place" "recycling centre", but I don �t know which one is the most real or the most commonly used.
Could you help me, please?

Thanks a lot,
MsPoppinsSmile

21 Mar 2010      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mary

I would say a recycling depot - not sure about other NS �s - different countries use different words.  Even in the same country different words are used.

Cheers

Jayho

21 Mar 2010     

sassouki
Tunisia

recycling centers

21 Mar 2010     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

You can also say recycling station. Your student had a good translation. 

21 Mar 2010     

Pachy
Spain

and what about the specific reclycling containers?

Are they called "paper bank" (I �m sure I �ve seen this word in sme books), "plastic bank" and "glass bank" or "plastic recycling container" ...

Also, what �s the name for the place where you put the batteries in order to recycle? "batteries recycling container"?

Thanks in advance!

21 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Our school / office recycling containers are usually big bins or (recyclable) cardboard boxes labelled accordingly.  We simply call them the paper recycling bins/boxes. 

Some suburbs have big recycling containers near the shops and sometimes these are called banks, like bottle banks, and aluminium can banks. 

Each house has a kerbside wheelie recycling bin.  We can put many recyclable items (glass, paper, aluminium etc)  into it and it then gets sorted at the ... wait for it ... material recovery facility (MRF). [How do you like that word?? I just came across that one a minute ago - lol]

My library has separate recycling boxes for mobile phones/mobile phone batteries and ink cartridges because we can �t put those into our wheelie bins.

Hope that helps Pachy

21 Mar 2010     

Pachy
Spain

Thanks a million, Jayho!
It has certainly helped me.Thumbs Up

In Spain, we �ve got recycling containers spread all over the cities: the blue ones are for paper and cardboard; the green ones for glass and the yellow ones are for plastic. Some small yellow containers have been added next to them for batteries. (The colours must be universal for recycling, aren �t they?). There are special recycling boxes for batteries at our school too, and you can also find some of them in different shops.
Of course, at school, we try to recycle paper, so we have special cardboard boxes where we put all the paper and take it to the nearer paper bank when it �s full.

At home (as most of us live in blocks of flats), we have big wheelie recycling bins, near the building, where we put all our rubbish bags and every night (at least, in cities!), the magic happens: the dustcard comes and everything is cleaned next morning!

21 Mar 2010     

MsPoppins
Spain

Thank you very much to all of you!!

MsPoppins Smile

21 Mar 2010