Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Regular Past Verbs Pronunciation    

Regular Past Verbs Pronunciation

Nereis
Argentina

Regular Past Verbs Pronunciation

Has anyone know if there is a rule about the -ed ending pronunciation /t/ or /d/ sound?
Is sound /t/ after plosive sounds like /K/ and /d/ after implosive?

Hugs from Argentina

Nereis

26 Mar 2010      

aftab57
United Kingdom

Regular verbs pronunciation

http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/stonebrink/Esl021/Past%20Tense%20Pronunciation%20for%20Regular%20Verbs%20color.doc

http://www.pearsonlongman.com/ae/download/spectrum/pdfs/book2/sp2_pronpuzz.pdf

http://www.azargrammar.com/assets/intermediate/FEGTeacher-CreatedWorksheets/Worksheets2/FEGCh2PronunciationRegularPastTenseVerbs.pdf

26 Mar 2010     

Nereis
Argentina

thanks a lot aftab57, great links!!!!!
Have a great weekend!!!
Love
Nereis

26 Mar 2010     

stexstme
France

I�ve got a game for pronunciation : Here it goes = Give a list of verbs to your stds, & ask them Who did it , David, Pat or Todd ?
eg : David painted (id), Pat worked ( t), Todd opened ( d)...:o)
SylvieBig smile

26 Mar 2010     

mendiv
United States

I teach my students a rhyme about this.

If there �s a d or a t, then you do say the e.
If there �s no d or t, then you don �t say the e.

We also talk about "Poor ded Ted".  (yes, "ded" is incorrect, but it helps the students to visualize.

As far as the voiced or unvoiced sound (what you call plosive and implosive), I believe it will match. 

i.e. raised (s makes the /z/ sound, which is voiced, and d is also voiced)

raked (k is unvoiced, d makes the /t/ sound, which is unvoiced)

26 Mar 2010     

agostine_
Brazil

Hi! I have something about these rules here in my pc. It �s very useful. If you want, send me your e-mail address in a pm and I �ll attach the files to you.
Hugs,
Agostine

26 Mar 2010     

Chilvis
Argentina

Hi! -ed endings in regular simple past verbs are pronounced /id/ only when the infinitive verb ends in letters d or t.

Then when the infinitive verb ends in a voiceless sound (except for /t/) the ending is pronounced /t/ and when the infinitive verb ends in a voiced sound (except for /d/) the ending is pronounced /d/.

So, as you said, after /k/ as it is voiceless the ending is pronounced /t/ and if you have a voiced sound like /b/ for instance, we pronounce it /d/.

Anyway, when I teach simple past to my teenage students I don �t think thay can recognise or at least remember this voiced-voiceless difference so I just tell them to pronounce it like a final d or t; or even just like a t (as a final d is in many cases devoiced sounding almost like a t).

Hope it helps you, let me know if I was clear
Chilvis

27 Mar 2010