Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Vocabulary Teaching    

Vocabulary Teaching

eternalmoonlight
Turkey

Vocabulary Teaching

Hi, i need your idea about a matter. I have to prepare a Vocabulary lesson plan for an elementary class. The vocabulary should be about climate words. What is the  maximum number of vocabulary i can teach in a lesson period. How can i give the meaning? I � d be graceful if you could share your ideas. Thanks in advance...

27 Mar 2010      

AJFC
Portugal

Hi, Eternalmoonlight!

You should not teach more than 6 words in a lesson period to children between 6 and 8 and not more than 8/10 to children between 8 and 10. Of course, this can vary according to their learning skills. You can teach more or less words.

I usually show huge colourful flashcards to my children. You must have in mind that the size may be important as many children are at the bottom of the classroom and they also have to watch them. This would take a whole lesson period (at least here in Portugal, because we teach 45 mints each time). Next class, you should repeat what was taught previously and organize a game or a simple worksheet with lots of pictures, especially pictures they can colour after completing the worksheet.

You can also make a "weather clock" with all the vocabulary you have taught to them, especially that concerning to weather conditions and each class we ask "What �s the weather like?" and a child must place the clock hand on the correct answer. For instance, "Sunny" or "Windy", according to the weather condition on that day.

Hope I have helped you.

27 Mar 2010     

eternalmoonlight
Turkey

thank you so much for sharing your idea...i strongly believe that �ll be very helpful.

27 Mar 2010     

Begogzp
Mexico

I have a bear to dress up with the appropiate clothes for raining,sunny,etc and you can say to your ss to identify the weather which clothes are they going to wear...Also here there is a ws what �s the weather today? and ss complete or match the drawings to the words I hope this ideas help you ok?
Bego�a

27 Mar 2010     

aftab57
United Kingdom

27 Mar 2010     

eternalmoonlight
Turkey

thank yo all so so much for sharing your valuable ideas! :)

27 Mar 2010