Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Is an orphanage also for kids with parents?     

Is an orphanage also for kids with parents?

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Is an orphanage also for kids with parents?

Hello everybody,

I would like to ask you for a little help.

I can ´t find a word for an institution, where children are raised by people who are not their parents, but they are employers of the state or a private organisation. These children do not have to be  orphans, many of them have got parents, who are not able to look after them. In Slovak we use a term like ´children ´s home �, could this be the word I am looking for? My dictionary does not recognise such a term and I am not sure if using ´orphanage � would cover the meaning...

Thank you in advance!

zuzana

31 Mar 2010      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Zuzana

In Australia children in this situation live in a foster home with an approved foster family.  This system replaced orphanages many decades ago.  Foster parents are approved, sometimes via private agencies, by the government.  Foster parents receive an allowance to care for these chidren who are formally classified as ´wards of the state� (or ´state wards�).  They are not all orphans; their parents might not be able to look after them (e.g. in prison, mentally/physically incapable, terminally ill etc)

Once the children reach teenage years they might choose to live in a group home with a number of other teenagers.  They are cared for by team of youth workers who provide care and supervision 24/7.  Once the teenager reaches 18 years they are considered an adult and are assisted to become independent.

If they have a criminal record they usually live in a juvenile detention centre until they are ready to move into foster care or a group home.  If they turn 18 they are transferred to an adult correctional facility.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jayho

31 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

It ´s simply a children ´s home. If there are only children whose parents are not able to look after them, it can also be called a protectory.

31 Mar 2010     

qiu-bei
China

i agree with jayho

31 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

If it is a large facility, rather than a family, "children ´s home" is the name. For other situations, Jayho ´s explanation is perfect.

Bruce

31 Mar 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Thank you many times, it is always good to know that there are people you can rely on, when you have doubts about English!

Greetings from Slovakia!

zuzana

31 Mar 2010