Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > phrasal verb    

phrasal verb

saszka2
Poland

phrasal verb

Hi everyone,
Any creative ideas for teaching phrasal verbs?
 I �m teaching phrasal verbs tomorrow, I want my students to remeber and practice a lot but I don �t want to torment them with boring exercises.

31 Mar 2010      

celia86
Argentina

Hi!
You �re right phrasal verbs can be really boring sometimes. I played a game in which I asked ss to sit in a circle, then I gave each ss a card containg either the verb or the particle or the meaning of it(cards faced down), after that they had to stand up and when I said go! they had to read their cards and try to find their partners (to form the correct phrasal verbs with its definition). Once I said stop! they couldn �t search any more, so the ones who found their partners stood in the center of the circle an so on, until the last three left had to do sth for losing, my ss looooove drinking coke, je so the losers had to pay a coke for everyone. It �s fun, but it depends on the amount of ss you have and the level.

kissesThumbs Up

31 Mar 2010     

PaulG
Costa Rica

Hi. Today I uploaded a phrasal verb game that you might like. The only problem is that you won �t be able to download it until tomorrow morning. but it is very useful. You can use this worksheet as a game and as flash-cards. There is also a phrasal verb game in the recent contributions section that was uploaded by another person. It also seems to be useful.

31 Mar 2010     

Ximenne
Armenia

Hey!
I totally agree with Celia, teaching & learning phrasals can turn out really dull indeed!

I think the game they have suggested is a good way to do it; I �ve another contribution to make and I hope you find it useful.

Once I have already taught the meaning of say, 10 phrasal verbs, I ask students to write a short story using them. This really helps them sink the meaning in! Smile

In this way your students will be practising both use of English and writing skills.

Cheers!

1 Apr 2010     

PaulG
Costa Rica

Hi again. I was wrong. My phrasal verb memory game is already in the recent contribution list, so if you want it, it �s there.

1 Apr 2010