Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Teaching modal verbs    

Teaching modal verbs

refis24
United Kingdom

Teaching modal verbs

Hi all,

I will be teaching modal verbs in my lesson next week and was wondering if you have any ideas on how to teach the following:

Could
May
Might
may well
might well
might not
won �t
probably won �t

I will be teaching this in the context of � I will come to college, I could well come to college tomorrow, I may not come to college tomorrow � etc etc.

I will need many concept check q �s with this, so any suggestions ????

I am being assessed, so I need something fun and interactive.  You thoughts would be most appreciated!!

Kind regards
Refis24

6 Apr 2010      

stexstme
France

Hi!
I �d really like to help, but ....Do not tell me you �re going to teach all these modals at the same time, are you ???? It would help people if you told us what level you are teaching, how old are your students ? ....I do not quite get the communicative approach ...? But I teach elementary & intermediate only..
Maybe our colleagues here will be able to help you with more details . JUst a thought...Wink
Sylvie

6 Apr 2010     

refis24
United Kingdom

Hi, thanks for your response.

I am a Celta student and these are the modals that I have been given to teach and to make it even worse, it �s an half hour lesson!! They are adult learners and at E3 level.

Thanks

6 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

What is E3 - is it elementary, pre-intermediate or intermediate?

6 Apr 2010     

refis24
United Kingdom

Hi

It is elementary. Here we have pre-entry, elementary, pre intermediate then intermediate.

Sorry for not being clear xx

7 Apr 2010