Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > need your help    

need your help

Aldona 777
Russian Federation

need your help

Guys,

shoud I say
"I am impatiently waiting for you"
or
"I am  waiting impatiently for you"

TNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX))))))))))))))))))))))))))))!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 Apr 2010      

Fabiola R
Argentina

I think it would be better to write..

I am waiting for you impatiently..

Because impatiently is an adverb and it should be written at the end.. You can write it before an adjective in order to give an emphasis to that adj..

Example: I am utterly impatient waiting for you...

Hope I had given you a correct answer...

Faby! Smile

16 Apr 2010     

Aldona 777
Russian Federation

Thank you!

16 Apr 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

In my opinion, the adverb in this case goes after the verb be, so it would be �I am impatiently waiting for you �
                                           WinkCheers!

16 Apr 2010     

AHHA
Belarus

I agree with Fabiola.

16 Apr 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I have to agree with lovemykids here: adverbs of manner normally come after the verb.  Common usage would place it after �waiting �, although if you wanted to achieve particular emphasis you could place it at the end of the sentence.

16 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Generally, as an adverb of manner it should come after the main verb : I am waiting impatiently for you.

However, as an intensifier it can be placed before the main verb: I am impatiently waiting for you.

Personally, imho, if I had to use it I would use it as an intensifier, but honestly, I would never say either of these sentences because they come acoss as impolite.  If we said either of those sentences to the person/s we waited for, they would no doubt be quite offended.  Just my humble opinion.

Cheers   ---   Jayho

17 Apr 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I think you should say neither. These are the kind of sentences that may be found in (mediocre) textbooks, but which people would never use in real life.

If you �re really waiting and want to show that you �re irritated, you could phone the party you �re waiting for and say something like:

�I �m waiting for you. Where are you? � (quite neutral)
�I �ve been waiting for ages. Where the hell are you? � (informal/annoyed)
�Are you planning to show up anytime soon? I �m growing a beard here. � (men/ironic)
�If you �re not here in one minute, you can kiss our dinner date goodbye. �

More variations possible.

17 Apr 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Maybe the  speaker who is waiting does not want to say she is waiting impatiently (which would be angry and offensive). Maybe she means to say "I am waiting anxiously for you," which conveys she is  anticipating the happy moment when she can see the person she is waiting longingly for.

Yes, I put the adverb after the verb.  I agree with ballycastle1 on the grammar.

17 Apr 2010     

johanne23232
Israel

I love Philip �s answer!  :) This is the kind of stuff that should be in the grammar books: real life English!  Thanks for the smiles Philip!

17 Apr 2010     

class centre
Belarus

I can see that Aldona just translated that sentence from Russian . It doesn �t mean any irritation. On the contrary - I can �t wait to see you again.

17 Apr 2010