Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How can we teach vocabulary for students so that they can memorize them for a long time?    

How can we teach vocabulary for students so that they can memorize them for a long time?

Sinbad2010
United Arab Emirates

How can we teach vocabulary for students so that they can memorize them for a long time?

Dear teachers,
Who has an effective method of teaching vocabulary for students so that students can keep on the new words for a long time.
Mohammad

21 Apr 2010      

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi, I had a very good experience with children when I asked them to make a picture dictonaries themselves. They had to draw the word and write it. We made booklets with the different categories. For instance on e page for clothes, an other for fruits, places, adjectives, actions and so on. They had to ad every new word.
With children and teens I play a lot of vocabulary games too. I use a lot of visual material.

21 Apr 2010     

DedicatedTeacher
United Arab Emirates

Assalam Aleikum,

Those ideas I use with primary students,

01. Personally, I usually start off any unit with vocabulary practice. I varied the exercises and games; dominoes, memory games, spelling race, find your partner, You may give them a list of vocabulary and ask them to find their pictures (stick the pictures on the walls.)

02. Also you could cut pictures into puzzles and have alphabet cards, ask them to put the puzzle together and then put the letters together into the name of the picture.

03. put up some posters with pictures. prepare a worksheet with a similar number of questions, Number the questions and the posters respectively, Change the order of the queston in the worksheets ( so students will not start off with the same poster ), ask them to move and finish their servey.

04.I usually asks students to line up before they get into the class. To gain access to the class they have to answer easy question about vocabulary. I used this with ordinal numbers and months (What is the first month).

21 Apr 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Whatever you teach sticks best if the new information is processed along with emotions. Modern brain science says that.

21 Apr 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

DedicatedTeacher - you have some really nice ideas. Number 4 made me smile, I �ve done the same - but on the way OUT of class!

I �m afraid I �m gonna be super boring and suggest................. reading, particularly graded readers. Original eh? Wink

21 Apr 2010     

Hijab
Brazil

Yes, colibrita. Dedicated teacher is very creative.

I will try her fourth suggestion next class InshAAllah. And I will add here play "tic tac toe" in order to memorize new words. I did that after playing graminoes about hours.
You don �t need to print anything just draw the lines on the board and write the words you want them to practice and then ask them to create sentences (oral) with them in order to make points.

21 Apr 2010     

saudiarabia
United Arab Emirates

The same way you use to teach your children qusai & lolo

24 Apr 2010