Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Store or Shop???    

Store or Shop???

teachertonyinchina
China

Store is not often used by British people.  The only time I might use store is department store.  When referring to a department store we usually use its name, Harrods, House of Frazer ect.

22 Apr 2010     

Zora
Canada

As a Canadian, we tend to use both. However, I would say that, if I was pressured into having to differentiate between the two, that a store is slightly bigger in size than a shop. "Shop" to me is something more quaint and a store is something bigger.

Also, sometimes, it just sounds better to use one over the other... at least to me... because of what it "mentally" represents.

A shoe shop - is to me a nice little shop or boutique.
A shoe store - would bring up an image of a bigger place that isn �t as elegant.

But anyways, that is how this "native" sees it... doesn �t mean that it is right or wrong, each country uses words differently sometimes. Smile

22 Apr 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

Thank you all for your answers. I know I can count on you when I need help. Have a great day/night....

Bere

22 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

Zora is right about the usage here in North America. I would add that a shop usually specializes in one thing. A candy shop sells only candy, and is smaller than a candy store, which specializes in candy (and probably sells some related things). You can go to a shoe repair shop, but there isn �t a shoe repair store.

I hope this helps the discussion.

Bruce

22 Apr 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I second teachertonyinchina �s comment;  I would never say that I was going to the store (even if it was a department store) butwould add that if I was looking for the location of say, an M & S or B & Q, I would search the company website for the �store location � rather than a �shop location �.

22 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

In Australia, we use the same as what teachertonyinchina and ballycastle1 say.

It is rare for someone to actually use the word store when talking about shops.

23 Apr 2010     

< Previous   1    2