Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What shall I say?    

What shall I say?

bjones
Spain

What shall I say?

Good afternoon!

Can anybody tell me which is correct? He �s the most unfriendly or he �s the unfriendliest ?

Thanks!

22 Apr 2010      

Ciaolina
Argentina

The first option is the correct one. "most unfriendly". Thumbs Up

22 Apr 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
I agree with ciaolina.
All adjectives or adverbs, with two vowel syllables, ending in Y, make comp. and superl. with +ier / +iest. ( funny, happy, cosy ... )
Unfriendly has got three syllables, so it uses more and most.
Hope it helps
bye
linda

22 Apr 2010     

esl-teach
United States

How about he is the least friendly?

22 Apr 2010     

bjones
Spain

Thanks. I also thought it was the most unfriendly.

22 Apr 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

Adjective

unfriendly (comparative unfriendlier or more unfriendly, superlative unfriendliest or most unfriendly)

Positive
unfriendly

Comparative
unfriendlier or more unfriendly

Superlative
unfriendliest or most unfriendly

1. not friendly; hostile
  2. unfavourable

[edit] Antonyms

[edit] Translations

22 Apr 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

�most unfriendly � might be grammatically correct but I go with esl-teach, it sounds a lot more natural to say �least friendly � !

22 Apr 2010     

Theodo
Greece

Some adjectives are formed in both ways, like friendly or cleverBoth forms are grammatically correct.

I �d like to ask native speakers: Which word is mostly used in everyday life? "more friendly" or "friendlier"? Or "more clever" or "cleverer"? Being grammatically correct is one thing and sounding awkward when speaking EFL is another...

bjones, good to bring this up!

22 Apr 2010     

lorenc
United Kingdom

I �d say the most unfriendly
:)

22 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

First, there �s a difference between unfriendly and not friendly. Unfriendly is definitely a negative quality, similar to hostile (but a little weaker). "Not friendly" is closer to a neutral position. This is similar to the difference between "cold" and "not warm". So, "the least friendly" is not the same as "the most unfriendly." Anyway, to answer the original question, I would say "unfriendliest", even if it violates the "rules" of comparative and superlative formation, because it follows the same form as its root word.

To answer Theodo, I would always say "friendlier", but I �m split on "most clever" and "cleverer". Both sound natural to me.

That �s how I see it.

Bruce

22 Apr 2010