Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Article    

Article

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Article

Hi.

Explain, please.
I bought a hat and a pair of shoes at a shop. Unfortunately the shoes are a wrong size.
I �m not sure only of a wrong size. Is it "a" and why?

My friends are a very nice couple. She has a clothes shop and he works in an office in the centre of ... (?) town. Is it "the"?

Thanks!

26 Apr 2010      

lagringa
Argentina

Hi, Alyona C. here goes the explanation

not the right one

not the one that you intended or the one that you really want [≠ right]:
The letter was delivered to the wrong address.
driving on the wrong side of the road
You �ve got the wrong man. I didn �t kill her.
I think we went the wrong way at that last turning.
There �s no-one called Julia here. You must have the wrong number (=wrong telephone number).

26 Apr 2010     

thinrichsen
United States

I bought a hat and a pair of shoes at a shop. Unfortunately the shoes are the wrong size.

Hat, pair, and shop are all singular words  (although pair does denote two of an item) and they are indefinite (the type of hat is not specified, the shop is not specified, etc.)so you use a with them.  Shoes is plural so you use the.  "Wrong size" is definite so you use the.

My friends are a very nice couple. She has a clothes shop and he works in an office in the centre of ... (?) town. Is it "the"?

You can say the town if you want to say it is a specific town.  You can say a town if you don �t have a specific town in mind.  Or, you can leave out the and a and just say "town". 

Hope this helps!

:) Teri

26 Apr 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I would say �the wrong size �
He works in the centre of town. (the is not necessary)
but.. He works in the centre of the city. ( the is necessary)

27 Apr 2010