Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Another doubt on relatives    

Another doubt on relatives

MsPoppins
Spain

Another doubt on relatives

Dear All,

Here I am with another question about relatives. Do you think the relative clause in the following sentence should be written between commas?

I met a nice girl whose father is English.
I met a nice girl, whose father is English.

I know defining relative clauses are essential to clarify and make the antecedent more precise; personally, I would not write commas. However, one of my collegues thinks the opposite. So far I have two opinions: one in favor, one against... I need your help!!

Thanks a lot in advance.
MsPoppinsSmile

29 Apr 2010      

aura+
Portugal

No commas, in my opinion.

29 Apr 2010     

Carla Horne
United States

You and Aura+ are correct. It is essential because you don �t know which girl you are speaking about until the clause is written.

Carla

29 Apr 2010     

MarianaC
Argentina

If you said "the girl that I met, whose father is English, was lovely" then commas would be ok because it �s clear which girl you are talking about, you don �t need to identify her/define her as you are using the definite article the. But because you �re using "I met a girl whose father is English" and used an indefinite article, then you need to give more information to define her/identify her. Therefore you need a defining relative clause, no commas.

30 Apr 2010     

MsPoppins
Spain

Now I have five opinions: four in favor, one against...

Thank you very much aura, Carla and Mariana for your help. Have a nice weekend!!
MsPoppinsSmile

30 Apr 2010