Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > masculine form of the word "midwife"    

masculine form of the word "midwife"

ELOJOLIE274
France

masculine form of the word "midwife"

hiya everyone!

i know the word "housewife" becomes "house-husband" if applied to a man...

but what about "midwife"??? i can �t seem to find the proper word to talk about "a male midwife"...
if any native speaker could help me out, I would appreciate your insights ;)

have a great week-end!!!
Elodie

30 Apr 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi,

I don �t think there is a word for it.

Regards

30 Apr 2010     

Pinky Makus
Canada

I Googled it and it seems that the term " midwife" is still used. Check out this search for some explanations:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=what+is+a+male+midwife+called&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

30 Apr 2010     

imelda
Mexico

hi...i watch a show called private practice and there is a character who is male midwife and he referred to himself as a midwife...so i guess that it is for both males and females...:)

30 Apr 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

well thanks a lot ;)
i assumed there was another word that i didn �t know... since so many words appeared (like policewoman, firewoman...) i thought that the term midwife no longer applied to man!!! i �ll go to bed tonight with that question answered, so thanks!!!

30 Apr 2010     

Laly59
Spain

Hi from La Palma, I was consulting the word "midwife" through my dictionary and I could check that  is the same word for male and female. I hope help you.

30 Apr 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Elodie, 

My wife is a former midwife and her male colleagues were always referred to as �male midwives �, since some women preferred to have �female midwives � - although they rarely expressed a gender preference when it came to intervention by a doctor. Another form of prejudice, I guess.

30 Apr 2010