Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Hobby VS Leisure activity    

Hobby VS Leisure activity

niyaniya
Thailand

Hobby VS Leisure activity

Hello all. I really need some help from you guys. Could you explain me about  the scope of the word "hobby"? Is there a difference between "a hobby" and "a leisure activity"?  I �ve googled this for hours but I �m still unclear on it.  

So, is "watching TV" considered as a hobby? Which of these two sentences below is correct?

1. "My hobby is watching TV."

2. "I don �t have any hobbies, but I like to watch TV in my free time."

Thank you very much  for your replies.

1 May 2010      

Graduated
Turkey

Actually they are both same but Leisure time is your free time outside of work or school but hobby is more special.if reading is your hobby u can do it wherever you want at work or school it is not important.
for example leisure park isnt a hobby..it is a free time activity etc.

i hope i could be usefulWink

1 May 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Sentence number 2 is definitely the one to use!

A hobby is usually something constructive, collecting stamps, coins etc. gardening, photography, painting, drawing, embroidery, handicrafts of all kinds, sports are included:- horse riding, walking, swimming .... Reading can be called a hobby, but watching television is a passive leisure time activity and isn �t considered a hobby.
People who watch too much TV are called �couch potatoes � LOL

1 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

Apodo,
I nearly wrote the same thing, but I looked up "hobby" at dictionary.com and it says that any leisure activity is a hobby. In common usage, though, what you say agrees with my definition. It is something "active" in some way, that you do in your leisure time. I agree that reading is in a gray area, but it isn �t a passive activity, so we can allow people to call it a hobby.

Bruce

1 May 2010     

niyaniya
Thailand

Graduated >>  Your reply is very useful to me. Thank you so much.

Apodo >>  LOL  But sometimes I feel like I wanna be away from my hard work and try being a "couch potato" for a week. ^^ eiei  ... Anyway, thank you so much for your explanations.

Bruce >> Thank you very much. You know, I never had any problems with this word �s usage until I looked it up in a dictionary a few days ago and, as you said, the dictionary says "hobby" is a synonym of "leisure activity". So, I googled the sentence "My hobby is listening to music." and found almost 200,000 results. Then several questions came to my mind like "Isn �t listening to music a passive activity?", "Can it be counted as "a hobby"?", "If listening to music is a hobby, what about watching TV?" and I started getting confused with the meaning of the word "hobby". ^^

2 May 2010