Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Dictionaries...    

Dictionaries...

izulia
China

Dictionaries...

Hello everybody, Hope you are having good Sunday!

I would like to hear your opinions about dictionaries.

I teach English for young beginners (8-11 years old) of different nationalities and I believe they should learn how to use a dictionary. English-English dictionaries with pictures help to develop their English, but often the definitions contain even more new words that my students do not know.

So what I do, I have a new word of the day that we look up in a dictionary as a class and we try to work out the definition together.
Sometimes we have a dictionary word hunt with the time limit that creates  quite an excitement, but generally my students prefer to use their multilingual electronic dictionaries.
There are plenty of online dictionaries as well that we use sometimes, but it hurts to see these great Oxford and Macmillan dictionaries with ullustrations for different age groups that my students don �t lke to use much.

I would love to hear your thoughts about this.

Zulia

2 May 2010      

audrey77
France

hello!!!
I completeley agree with you it �s a pity for the dictionnaries my pupils (from 10 to 14) are so lazy they prefer internet translators.... they don �t want to open the dic maybe the pages are to heavy or something like that i suppose!   ;-)  but i made them realize how bad it was ...once my pupils have a paragraph to write at home  and obviously they are so lazy they just copied the text and the tranlation. we woked on one homework... the translation was how go you for hoow are you? and stuff like that so i think i made them realize it s not as good a s it seems. also, i made a ws to work on the use of a dictionaary because your realize that even at the age of 13 they can �t actually search properly in the dic!!!! i might put it soon on the site put i can tell you you �re doing right with you children : you can try the translator thing and you can create a wordseach and also in another exercise put sentences like : easter is a religious feast right wrong + correct and also different activities of research in your dictionnary (that i don �t know) but stuff like find where the phonetics pages are...
hope it helps!!!
audrey

2 May 2010     

kodora
Greece

Hi, dear colleagues!
I am really "happy" to hear that not only children in Greece but in other countries as well are too lazy to use dictionaries or other kinds of reference books.My question is why this is happening.Is it the educational system that promotes this attitude, is it the fact that parents do not take the time to deal with their children in a constructive way, is it watching too much TV and spending hours in front of a PC that makes them lazy and apathetic.Very often I have the feeling that they "refuse" to think and "hear"and it depresses me badly  because I want to "give" and what I generally receive is a barrier.I have been teaching for the last twenty-seven years and things seem to get worse and worse.Thank God there are some exceptions!!!!!
Thank you for listening to me in advance.
Have a nice Sunday!
Dora

2 May 2010