Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > antonyms    

antonyms

zaba123
Slovakia

antonyms

I have to do this task.Please, help me with it.I have to divide these antonyms into 3 groups : derivational,root and mixed antonyms.(but I don�t understand meaning of these 3 words)

Begin ,finish, hot ,cold, buy , sell, legal , illegal,start,  low ,high, useless, useful,      pre - war , post -war, dislike, like, last ,first, early ,  late, expensive, cheap,dry, wet , careful, careless

5 May 2010      

banska bystrica
Slovakia

hello zaba,

root words are words which have neither a suffix, nor a prefix, they are basic words. (begin, finish, hot, cold, buy, sell, legal, start, low, high, like, last, first, early, late, cheap, dry, wet)

derivational words are made by adding a suffix or a prefix to a root word (illegal, useless, useful, dislike, expensive, careful, careless)

mixed (compound) words consist of words that can stand on their own with their own meaning, but when compound, they bear a new or different meaning...(post-war, pre-war)

I hope I am right and that it helps Smile

bye

5 May 2010     

zaba123
Slovakia

thank you.

6 May 2010