Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Literature for the summer    

Literature for the summer

viccxx
Greece

Literature for the summer

Hi everybody!
I have a 9 year old student who is a bit of a bookworm. He has just finished B � senior and i watn to find some literature for him to study during summer. Now, I ve looked in the catalogues and websites of most major publishers for "readers" as they call them but most are topics my student has either already read or do no interest him. His mother is a very open-minded woman who thinks books whould be read for the joy of reading and not just to improve one �s English (she �s right of course). Are any books like that out there?

6 May 2010      

silvia.patti
Italy

What kind of books does he prefer? What has he already read?

6 May 2010     

viccxx
Greece

Adaptations of classical works like Oliver Twist or The Three Musketeers and such are off because he has either read most of them or the subjects dont agree with him. He finds most of them depressing. I �m looking for original texts which are cheerful and imaginative or even comical because he has a very well developed sense of humour. Frankly i �m starting to thing that Asterix or such other comic would be better for him but I �m worried about his level and whether they will be too difficult for him.

If anyone knows of any magazines we could subscribe, like National Geographic Kids i would appreciate the feedback

6 May 2010     

Zora
Canada

Why don �t you go to Amazon.co.uk and take a look at the books for children his age (or a bit younger) in English and see what is there. There are loads of stuff that he might enjoy and the books are not overly expensive. I order from there for myself quite regularly. Smile

Example: here�s a direct link to that age group and the books found there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=amb_link_57464165_26?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A69%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A486612011&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=1T5WAZBG8R60JDA82VXY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=202361247&pf_rd_i=69

6 May 2010     

plemos
Portugal

Have you tryed Penguin levelled books?
There �s a magazine for pre-intermediate level called "CROWN"

6 May 2010     

viccxx
Greece

Thanks everybody! Great Ideas!

6 May 2010