Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Making begginer students pay attention    

Making begginer students pay attention

Aninha Feliz
Brazil

Making begginer students pay attention

This probably isn �t the right place to post this, but I �m having some trouble when it comes to teach my students and make them respect me and pay attention to me. They �re third and fourth graders, ages 8-10 with little to no contact with English.

I have no idea on what to do. I try to give them interesting and fun lessons, but it �s being hard.

Maybe because I �m a new teacher? Any ideas on what I could do to make them pay attention?

Forgive me if I did anything wrong. And good bye!

6 May 2010      

stacksy
Korea, South

Hi Aninha,
               It is sometimes difficult to get student �s respect as a foreign teacher, particularly when you cannot converse in the language of your students. It is important to spend time during your first meetings with a group of new students in establishing the rules of your classroom. You can turn this into a learning experience for the students so, together, you can devise a set of rules (no talking when the teacher is talking, come to class on time, etc). When you have decided on a set of rules divide the students into groups and get them to make posters to illustrate the rules. The best poster(s) can be put on the classroom wall and, later, if a student is breaking a rule you can use the poster to point it out.
   Another thing I would say is, it is important to be firm at the beginning; it is more important that students respect you rather than like you, in fact, I would say if students respect you they will like you more. You can relax a little and be more tolerant as time passes but only when the students know your allowed limit.
   There are lots of ways to get students to pay attention but a very simple trick I use is to train the students that when I clap my hands twice and shout "look at me!" they must respond by clapping their hands twice and shouting "look at you!" You must be patient when you are teaching this, so you clap and shout and make sure you get a response from every student, if you see a student who doesn �t respond, go and stand next to the student and clap and shout again, this time they will respond. As the exercise gains momentum, more students will respond you should get to a point where you will clap and shout and every student will respond and look at you. Do not say or do anything until you have the attention of the entire class. If one or two students are still talking, just stare at them, other students will let them know they should be paying attention.  I know it seems very simple but it does work!
   I know it can be very difficult when you start out but it does get easier. Good luck. 

6 May 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

If you don �t mind me asking... have you had any sort of training or degree? Or you �ve just started teaching young kids?
Because in my opinion, teaching kids in Brazil (with little or no contact, like you �ve mentioned) is really tricky and without the proper preparation and support, it �s nearly impossible to get any job done.

You did not do anything wrong, but young kids can �t focus and concentrate like grown-ups can, therefore, it would definately mean having some kind of degree on that.

EDIT: Also, are you teaching in public/private schools or private courses?

6 May 2010     

Aninha Feliz
Brazil

stacksy: Thank you so much for the poster idea and the advice!

Bruna: I have a degree (Gladly, in my city you can�t find any good jobs as a teacher without a degree.), but I �m having issues putting theory to practice. I�m looking for further training to see if it helps, though. I understand they can �t pay attention like grown ups, but they don �t pay any attention at all. I try to grab their attention and put what I learned to practice, but it�s though.

I�m also shy (treating social anxiety disorder) and insecure and my insecurity makes them feel insecure and lose respect for me.

Edit: Public schools.

6 May 2010     

cacucacu
Argentina

stacksy is absolutely right. It �s essential that you establish a set of rules at the very beggining. I usually make only one poster together with my students. Last year I did one with things we can do in class and things we cannot do. I �d bring sentences showing different aspects in a lesson.Eg. shout, raise you hand to talk. I �d cut the sentences into strips on paper and I �d call different students to come to the front and read them aloud. Then the whole class would decide uder which heading they should stick the sentence. Later I �d stick the poster on a wall and I �d make my students sign next to it. The signature means that they agree with the rules and that they �ll respect them. This year however I only point out the positive aspects of a class. The poster said Everybody in 4th grade agree to: raise their hand to talk, listen top their teacher �s explanations, etc. and later I �d make them sign. 
Another thing that worked for me is playing background music while they work. But not all music is appropiate. I discovered a lovely series called "Babies go..." which has songs of different well known artists like "The Beatles", Madonna, Robbie Williams, etc but their are played with a sweet melody like the one on music boxes and of course with out the lyrics. This kind of music seems to relax them and as they are well known songs they recognize them and they like to listen to them. Maybe you can even download one or two Cds and try it out. My favourite are Babies go Queen. Babies go U2 and Babies go Robbie Williams.
Good Luck and never show your students that you are desperate although you really are Wink.
Love from Agentina
NAty

6 May 2010     

cacucacu
Argentina

Dear friend in case your are interested in the rules I �ve prepared a ws showing this point, which is very simple. I �ve designed it for 8 and 9 year old Students. Have a look at ithttp://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=250484#thetop
Good luck again!

6 May 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@aninha. I only asked because in many private courses in Brazil they don �t require any degree to teach English to young kids, and more often than I �d care, don �t give any training for the teachers, that �s what I wanted to say before I could actually give you my biggest tip, and now that you mentioned that you are shy, I think it �s even more important!

REALLY... REALLY... trust yourself! Be confident, speak in front of a mirror that you can handle them, and if you are in treatment for social disorder, I �m sure you are already trying!

I really do think that confidence in yourself and your capacity is the single most important thing for you to be able to handle a class of 30-something students around the age of 9.
You �ll always have all your knowledge, since you �re majored, but that alone doesn �t help if you don �t rise to the occasion and really get their attention to you (and your work).

I hope you get to overcome your trouble!
Hugs,

Bruna

6 May 2010     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Some really good advice so far from our dedicated teachers!! I agree whole-heartedly to the establishment of rules from day one.

I have a quick question for you Aninha Feliz. Have you ever punished any misbehaving students in your class?

6 May 2010     

liquidnuance
Japan

I agree about setting down rules from the start.  I read a book called "The Essential 55" which helped give me some good ideas.  Also, I made sure to include rules like, "If everyone is positive and cooperative, I will bring rewards" and "If you do a great job on your HW, you will get bonus points".  I think students really like to know what they can do to meet or exceed teachers � expectations...not only the punishable DONT �s.  (Although, I think it �s important to make clear which punishments will occur if rules are broken.)  Remember, as a teacher, you have a right (and a duty) to expect certain things of your students, and to make those expectations clear.  Once you figure out what exactly you expect from them (and why), it �ll be easier to communicate those expectations to your kids.  Good luck!

6 May 2010     

jonyml
Spain

The first year is the hardest. Students know you �re new and check your limits, how far they can get.

6 May 2010     

denfer
Czech Republic

When I was at University, they always told us that it is very important to create a nice, relaxed atmoshere in the class so that the students feel at ease. So when I started teaching the very first lessom I played  games the whole lesson. The lesson went perfectly but then the students expected games all the time and when I did other exercises it was difficult to get their attention and the discipline was getting worse and worse...  So I learnt that it is very important to be a bit strict at the beginning (not unpleasant but strict) and tell your students what you expect from them. I think that that way the students understand what you want from them and that there are some limits .. Then when I can see that the students work well and that there are no discipline problems I am not that strict anymore and with time the students understand that you might be a bit strict but you like them and your work and finally you have a very nice, relaxed atmosphere....
But I also think it is very important to show that you are confident and that you know exactly what you are doing and why.
However, I teach older kids - from the age of 12 and in the Czech Republic we usually have around 15 students for languages so it is easier ...
I wish you the very best of luck. 
It is always difficult at the beginning. We have all been through it but it is worth the effort :-)  
Hugs
Denisa

6 May 2010     

1    2    Next >