Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Syllabus Design    

Syllabus Design

annabelle1654
Germany

Syllabus Design

Hi everyone,

I �m trying to design an intermediate esl syllabus for adults for technical english. Can someone guide me to a website or know of where I can find good outlines for grammar and tasks to help me create a syllabus.
Thanks in advance.
Belles

6 May 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Annabelle,

I worked as a business English trainer for many years and have thousands of hours of experience. Most of the people who are on board here seem to be school teachers (only or predominantly) and their clientele is mostly kids. I have tried to start some discussions that go beyond teaching kids, to no avail. So, this might simply be the wrong place to ask this question, I hope I am wrong. In other areas people seem to have an overwhelming amount of knowledge though.

Get a copy of Oxford �s Tech Talk, they will give you a good head start. Also, Cornelsen has a "Technical English for Beginners" book, which, in my opinion is just a follow-up on the Business English for beginners but it does the trick.

Grammar-wise, technical English isn�t much different from general English, vocabulary-wise it sure is.

Hope I could help

6 May 2010     

caroay
Spain

Also, a book that might be useful is Market Leader.. I used it for about two years and it seemed to work fine.
My advice would be to use business English books to complement, but my experience is that students get bored after a while!!

6 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Annabelle, get interested in technology yourself, that is the key to creating interesting engaging syllabi.

Regards

6 May 2010