Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > lay-off versus make redundant    

lay-off versus make redundant

Mietz
Germany

lay-off versus make redundant

Could somebody tell me the difference between "to lay-off staff" and "to make somebody/ staff redundant"?

I got a worksheet from eslprintables, but I unfortunately can�t find the author anymore... :-(

The sentence is:
Most of the workforce were GIVEN THE SACK / MADE REDUNDANT / LAID OFF last week as orders for cars fell to an all-time low.
-> choose the correct phrase...
I think the last two are possible, but I�m not sure.

Thanks for your help!

23 Nov 2008      

kaz76
United Kingdom

Hi

To be made redundant and to be laid off are more or less the same - you are losing your job through no fault of your own, usually because there is not enough work for the company.  However, the main difference between the two is the settlement package.  When you are laid off you are usually given one week or one month�s pay but when you are made redundant you get some sort of package - like a lump sum and pay for every year you have worked.

So I would think that laid off is more likely.

23 Nov 2008     

Mietz
Germany

Thank you sooo much kaz76 for your quick and informative answer! That made it clear! Have a nice rest of the weekend!

23 Nov 2008     

crisholm
Spain

I think in this case the difference lies in the register - for such a sentence you would need a more formal one, such as �were made redundant�.

23 Nov 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

That�s no problem Mietz.  I was in a rush this morning so I didn�t have time to do anything but give a brief answer but just to add to my previous answer - when you lay someone off it can sometimes just be a temporary measure until work picks up again which is why it is often used in the building industry for people such as joiners, bricklayers, labourers etc.  But when you are made redundant that is definitely permanent so this would be more likely for people working in banks, call centres etc. 

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend:))

23 Nov 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

That�s no problem Mietz.  I was in a rush this morning so I didn�t have time to do anything but give a brief answer but just to add to my previous answer - when you lay someone off it can sometimes just be a temporary measure until work picks up again which is why it is often used in the building industry for people such as joiners, bricklayers, labourers etc.  But when you are made redundant that is definitely permanent so this would be more likely for people working in banks, call centres etc. 

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend:))

23 Nov 2008