Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > General comment    

General comment

heikeo53
Mexico

General comment

Hello everybody,

I would like you to consider my comment just as an observation, not a criticism.
I noticed that in general the more colourful  and elaborated the layout of a worksheet is the more downloads it has.  I work as an English teacher at a state university in M�xico. I don �t get one single photocopy for free and simply don �t have enough money to buy or print coloured sheets. Shouldn�t the content of a worksheet be more important than the layout? Some of the black and white worksheets without any pics do have almost the same type of exercises as the coloured ones, nevertheless they aren �t very "successfull". I think that is a shame.
Greetings,
heikeo53

17 May 2010      

JulietaVL
Mexico

Why don �t you print them in grey scale? that is all I do and the result is good for me

And I disagree with you, I have seen worksheets full of colors and clipart but at the same time great in content, an example?

This is what my students love instead of a plain and "boring" worksheet... that is why I am a member of ESLprintables... here I find what I don �t in any other site for English resources.

Good luck!

17 May 2010     

donapeter
Romania

The colors and the clip arts can be edited/deleted if necessary. 
You should have noticed that most of the wss here are made for elementary students, the ones who need visual stimuli. The advanced wss are not so colorful and full of clip arts- one can �t present a ws with funny colors and butterflies to adults or advanced learners. 
The elementary textbooks themselves are full of images and colors. 

17 May 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

yesterday, someone posted the same thing, and today after reading this i have to wonder why is always so important the points. as a member we just need 30 miserable points  to be able to download 30 ws a day. that is more ore less 10,920 ws a year. who on earth needs more ws?  i barely use less than 100 ws a year and i have 5 groups which i treat differently (give them different ws).  please heikeo don �t take me the wrong way i dont want to be rude, but we are all teachers and each one of us know what is valuable or not, if you care about points then learn how to make more interesting ws, that have both, content and layout. if the problem is about the copies (and i think  i can make a bet about this, 85% of the teachers here wont print or copy  in color unless is a poster, game or flashcard that they can laminate or make it durable), they either remove the color or print in gray, that �s what i do and the copies look fine (set the printer in gray will only take seconds). we also have b/w worksheets that are really good, just look at gavitza�s ws, she makes wonderful b/w, but she takes time, and works hard to make them and they get over 300 dw each time. we do know what to download,.

17 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

heikeo53,

You �re absolutely right, of course: the content of a worksheet should be more important than the layout but, as others have pointed out, some students  prefer the frills and fripperies - which may, or may not, improve their grasp of the language (has anyone researched this?).
Personally, I �ve reverted to making plain ol � black and white worksheets as and when I need them (only slightly pimped...thank you, Word).  When I �m ready, I plan to unleash them en masse here and expect to get, oh, about three points, but hell, I like them and so do my students. 

All the best,

Alex

17 May 2010     

Chriss-MX
Mexico

Yo hab�a posteado eso hace ya un rato.
Pero las mias son coloridas pero con contenido, aun as� siempre q me lo piden les doy una version B/W

17 May 2010     

donapeter
Romania

So...Chriss.....you understand English but you just can �t express yourself in this language. Thank God there is Google translator and we can understand what you say!I was about to think you cursed us all!  

17 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yeah, I thought I was a dead man there. Whew!!!?

17 May 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

I agree with an idea there �s no need to judge the works of the collegues, every teacher creates what he / she can do. As to the point what ws (colourful or b/w) are the most uploaded, I can compare it with a market- everyone chooses the vegs according to his/her taste.  The tastes differ! As to me I have a great fun to analyse the ws of others.

17 May 2010     

Isabelle74
France

I usually print the worksheets black and white, but as I have an overhead projector in my classroom I �m interested in the color versions which have a greater visual impact for my young students. When the contents are good I never hesitate to download black and white versions !

17 May 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

you know what almaz? i did a little research in my classroom during september. i gave my students a homework from the textbook they were only 10 exercises. 18 out of 25 didnt do it. a couple of days later i typed the exercise in word and gave them as a homework. 13 out of 25 didnt do it. then a week later i took the exercise and make a beautiful ws with pictures and a nice layout and guess what ? 2 out of 25 did it.  so i do believe that a nice layout will motivate my students.

17 May 2010     

1    2    Next >