Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Situation in Greece and other countries    

Situation in Greece and other countries

magneto
Greece

Situation in Greece and other countries

Hello, everyone!
I �m not sure I can ask about such a thing in the forum, but I can �t think of any other way. I was wondering...What do people from other countries think about the situation in Greece? (you know, with the whole crisis, debt, IMF etc. business) How do you see Greek people right now? How is the situation in your countries?
That �s all...I just had to ask because, although I absolutely love this site, we seem to be safe in our own little world here and forget about what �s happening out there (and by "we" I also mean myself)...
Thanks for taking the time to read this post and thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.

19 May 2010      

Babs1966
France

Well Magneto,

I live in France and we see on TV news about what �s happening in your country and it seems pretty hard.
As far as I �m concern, in my daily base life it isn �t easy either as my husband is on sick leave from work since 2.5 years. Sick
I teach at home and I don �t know if it �s du to the crises but this year I �ve only had one student. As compare to last year I had 4 Students a week from the begining of the year to the end !!!
I do hope the crises will get over quickly but it doesn �t look like it �s gonna happend soon !!!Confused

Take good care,

Babs Wink

19 May 2010     

magalita
Spain

Gia sou Magneto!Ti Kaneis; Well, I studied modern Greek at University and I think that your language as well as your culture is a great one! It�s a pity what�s happening in your country, but I can tell you that the same that is happening there is about to happen in many other countries due to this crisis. In Spain things are not much better and the number of unemployed people, specially where I live, in the Canary Islands is horrible! People feel upset and desperate due to the situation, so, as I try to do, try to keep calm and try to do your best to overcome all these difficulties
Best wishes
Take care
Magalita

19 May 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear magneto,

I know that a lot of Greek people are very angry with the Germans at the moment, because some newspapers in Germany seem to feel superior and have written about Greece�s financial crisis in a very rude way. Disapprove Just to give an example, they have called the Greeks lazy...

I �m extremely sorry for all this, but there �s nothing I could do to stop these arguments.

I think that Greece has to cope with this unusual situation just like every other country in the world which has been affected by the worldwide economic crisis... Germany is currently facing the same problems, so there �s really no need to point fingers at other countries.

Just my humble opinion though... ;))

Love - Silke

19 May 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

I �ll describe a cartoon I saw in our newspaper last week when Greece more or less went on strike because of the measures that the Greek government were planning. Pity I threw it away.

In the foreground there were several figures representing Greece. They were in deep water and you could only see their noses and posters with the Greek flag and the word STRIKE they were holding up - because they were drowning.

They had water not only up to their necks, but up to their noses - but they were brandishing those STRIKE posters. They were oblivious of the danger to their lives but vehemently on strike.

On the pier there were several persons representing the European Union. They were holding lifebelts and were ready to throw them in and save the drowning Greeks.

The speech bubble emanating from them was to this effect:
WE �D BE GLAD TO HELP IF ONLY YOU HAD A MINUTE (or: IF YOU WEREN �T SO BUSY)

This showed very clearly what many people in this country felt at the time: other European countries have to pay for Greece (and in my country this government decision caused a considerable political discussion), these countries don �t have it easy either, and the Greek people �s reaction is STRIKE instead of realization that things have to change dramatically.
I don�t say it�s my opinion, I�m just mirroring the general opinion.
Things aren�t easy in this country either

19 May 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Dear....here is worse than in Greece!!!!We almost envy you! 
I don �t want to give details cos I am sick of seeing what is going on around here. Sick sick sick.
We wish we were you, believe me! 

19 May 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

Poor donapeter. Do tell us how this sick situation affects teaching!

19 May 2010     

donapeter
Romania

You know..... we �ll get 25% off the salaries!!! I �ll teach 25% less , I �ll be 25%less interested in what I �m doing. I �ll love this country 25% less! (I was kidding- I �ll save my love for smth better) 

19 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Here it �s not easy either, if Europe is having hard times, Latin America is always much worse! We are used to having TONS of taxes and LOW salaries... for many many  years. Teachers teach in 3 , 4 places to try and make a "decent" salary... No need to go any further into this ... A big hug to all ...

19 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

Dear Babs,
Thank you for your kind words and support. I really hope your husband gets better soon. Stay strong, both of you! I also hope you �ll find more students soon...I know what it �s like to be looking for work and finding nothing.
Dear Topolina and Elderberrywine,
I �m not pointing any fingers at any countries and I don �t think that other people have to pay for our debt; I know others have their own problems. The ones we should all be pointing the finger at are corrupt governments and those huge banks and companies that run the world at the cost of human lives... This is their crisis, not the people �s...But that is a different issue.
All I �m saying is this: It makes me mad that people think of all of us as a bunch of lazy bums or thieves (racism is one of the fruits of generalizing, right?). Certainly, there are many of those among us, but there are also many who are not like that...And those (the hard-working, underpaid ones) are mostly the ones going on strike (unless they work in private companies, in which case there is the fear of being fired...democracy, right?). All I �m asking is this: What would other people do if they were ripped off their rights? If they realised that prices and taxes are rising, when their salaries are dropping? If they KNEW that the ones who get to pay are not the ones actually guilty? Wouldn �t they get angry? Wouldn �t they try to react in some way? That �s all I �m saying...
Dear Magalita,
Thank you for your kind words, too. I know you�re going through some very hard times, as well.
Dear Donapeter and Aliciapc,
I believe our situation and yours are not that far any more...We ARE getting a lot closer...
So, hurray!...The world is falling to pieces: The rich are getting richer (and even fewer) and the middle-class and poor are getting poorer (and their number is getting larger)!
I�m feeling rather sick, suddenly...
Have a nice day and I wish you all - and us all - the best of luck

19 May 2010     

Halildurak
Turkey

Dear Magneto,
Here in Turkey the situation is fragile I guess ....The economists are talking about some hot money  everything seems ok at the moment or else they want us to believe it is ok...It seems to me things are bad in many countries but you Greek people know how to react,show your  real feelings...
Have a nice day everybody 

19 May 2010     

1    2    3    Next >