Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help with a doubt please    

Help with a doubt please

apayala
Spain

Help with a doubt please

I always thought it was:

to be involved with
to be bored with
to be relaxed with

but in my pupil�s book it appears:

to be involved in
to be bored of
to be relaxed about

Are all of them possible?

Thanks a lot!

Ana

19 May 2010      

missmallo
Spain

I think you can say either.

Greetings
Miss Mallo

19 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

In my experience, "involved with" is only used for romantic interests - He is involved with his neighbor. Otherwise, we use "involved in".

"bored of" isn �t common in the US, but "tired of" is. I �m used to "bored with".

I don �t think I �ve ever heard "relaxed with". In my experience, "relaxed" isn �t usually followed by a preposition. A person is commonly "comfortable with" something, though.

I hope this helps,
Bruce

19 May 2010     

mamamima
Zimbabwe

in my humble opinion,

involved IN
bored WITH
relaxed ABOUT

GOOD LUCK :)

19 May 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

yeah I agree with Bruce!

19 May 2010     

juliag
Japan

In British English at least bored of is commonly used, as in "I �m bored of this song."

19 May 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

As a British English speaker, I have never used �bored of �, although I �ve heard it spoken. Apparently, it �s one of these expressions which seems to have become more acceptable through the internet (via being shoehorned into the titles of parodies like �Bored of the Rings �).
There �s an interesting little article here:

(incidentally, Language Log is one of my favourite sites dealing with language use - and not least because they take huge, hilarious (and justified) swipes at the likes of Strunk & White and Lynne Truss. Try it. You �ll be glad you did.)

Alex

19 May 2010