Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > SPEAKING CLASS-----WHY???????    

SPEAKING CLASS-----WHY???????

Kohaku
Japan

SPEAKING CLASS-----WHY???????

I mainly teach conversational English for many levels. I recently have a group of 13year olds that are having a difficult time with finding the answers to "Why" questions. They automatically run to their dictionaries to find a word or sometimes come up with nothing. Anyone with advice on helping students with answering "Why". Its a difficult problem since it is their opnion and not mine.  

24 May 2010      

Babs1966
France

Hello Kohaku,

First of all, I think you need to give them vocabulary sheets about the topics you are going to discuss, in order to give them material to use to practice conversation.
Second, part your conversation lesson by explaining them the different ways they can answer.
I think in the long run your Ss will be able to express themselves more easily ;)

I hope my advice will help you a little.

Have a great day,

Truly, Babs

24 May 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Hi Kohaku,

I have had the same experiences with my students.  WHY involves higher-order thinking because a student has to understand cause, effect, consequences, and reasons for something in order to understand this.  Your students probably feel that they don �t have the background to explain these kinds of relationships so I �d suggest the following

- teach them the common vocabulary to answer these questions: because, the cause is, A makes B happen, etc.

Not to advertise myself, but I prepared some worksheets on these things so check out some of my worksheets on eslprintables (cause and effect AND affect and influence)

- use graphic organizers to make sure that they understand these relationships and to help them organize their thoughts.  

It will get easier in time!  You just happen to be the teacher who is helping them transition into having this particular English skill!

Good luck and I hope I �ve suggested something of use to you!

24 May 2010     

Kohaku
Japan

Thank you both for your advice!!! This advice will help me develop stronger lessons.
Babs1966 Do you know any worksheets on ESL that present new vocabulary with discussion material?

atsanti85 Thanks for your suggestion. I looked through your worksheets! You have plenty of helpful material. I hope the graphic organizer will help my children create a stronger conversation.

If any others have advice that might be useful or any experiences to share I would love to hear them. I am loving the success of growing as a teacher. Smile

24 May 2010     

Babs1966
France

There are many pages with question word exercises on this site ;)

Here are a few links to get you started ;)

Hope you find what you need there ;)

Very truly, Babs

24 May 2010     

aftab57
United Kingdom

These maybe worth a quick browse.

24 May 2010