Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > AVI download problem    

AVI download problem

dawnmain
United Kingdom

AVI download problem

I have downloaded an AVI video from Englishtips.  It works perfectly in VLC, although not in WMP.  I drag-copied it onto my memory stick but when I put it in my dvd player it wont play.

Can anyone help me solve the problem? 
thanks in advance.

25 May 2010      

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

There are many forums available on the web to help you.

Here is something I have found but HAVE NOT tried ......

How do you take a movie that is stored on your hard drive in AVI format and burn it to disk so that you can watch it on a standard DVD player? This is an important question for most of us with digital camcorders. Even digital cameras take little movies as well as still pictures these days. You can simply burn these AVI movies to CD or DVD as files to share with friends and family who have computers, but if you want to send a movie to grandma, and she doesn �t have a computer, you are stuck. With the right software, making a DVD for grandma is not too difficult.

1. Get DVD conversion software that works for you. None of it is perfect. Some AVI to DVD conversion programs might be intuitive and easy for you, but someone else may hate them and vice versa. The best way to find the right DVD conversion software is to download several evaluation copies, try them, and then buy the one that works best for you. One fantastic program is Convert Genius; this program is excellent because it allows you to work with multiple formats, not just AVI.

25 May 2010     

Homeless Turtle
United States

As to your WMP (Windows Media Player , I presume) problem. Try updating the codec files (If you don �t know what a codec file is, you can learn more about them here.) Or try upgrading to the latest version of WMP.

Now I have a question for you... Did you just copy and paste the AVI file on to your memory stick, or did you convert it to another type of codec (dvd,vob,divx,etc?) A DVD player will only play Digital Video Discs, so I am assuming that you tried to copy your AVI file onto a disc and then play it with the DVD player. If that is the case, then you will not be able to watch your video. It is coded in the wrong format and will not be recognized by your DVD player.

If you wish to watch your AVI video from your DVD player you must fist convert and burn it into a watchable DVD. You will need some blank DVD �s, they are fairly inexpensive and can be purchased at most electronic stores. And then you will need some DVD burning software. I use "Nero"  but there are a lot of options out there, try looking around, "WINAVI" seems to be a good one. After that, just put one of the blank DVDs into your burning drive and use your software to choose the file you wish to burn onto it.

I hope this helps you. Let me know how it goes, good luck! 

25 May 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies. I have looked at a couple of forums but Im useless with technology and find the info vry confusing.

Usually  I  download  from youtube, convert to avi then drag the file onto the memory stick and it works perfectly on the portable dvd player directly from the usb not a disc. 

According to vlc the video codec is H264 and audio codec mpga - Is this the problem?  If so what do I have t do?

25 May 2010     

aquarius_gr
Greece

You need this:

http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/codec-pack

25 May 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I have downloaded the divx stuff as you suggeste4d but it says it doesnt admit the format.
Im thinking that although it has avi code perhaps it isnt.

Dont know what to try next.

25 May 2010