Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Using Powerpoints    

Using Powerpoints

sarahjane68
Germany

Using Powerpoints

Hi everyone!

This is probably a very silly question but how do you all incorporate powerpoint presentations into your lessons? I �ve actually never used them myself, my only experience with them being from a student �s perspective when I recently began German lessons. I began teaching English over 20 years ago and, back then, there were no powerpoints and I guess I kind of got stuck in the using-the-familiar-stuff rut. Are they really very effective? 

Sorry if I sound like a dunce. I just want to make sure I get it right if and when I decide to use the powerpoints.

Thank you all in advance!

Sarah

25 May 2010      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Powerpoints are very useful for teaching because they can be animated. You can use them like you would use films or flashcards.

25 May 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I use them for games, revision and even new material. For instance, if you �re introducing the Present Perfect, you can have all the rules prepared in your ppt, with examples and drill exercises afterwards - with just a click of the mouse or your remote control you add text, as if you were writing on the board, only you �re not. Not writing on the board actually saves a lot of time, you don �t turn your back on the sts and it saves a lot of time during the lesson. It also allows you to view the faces of your sts and see immediately their reactions - the eye-to-eye-to ppt contact gives them more possibilities to ask questions during the process. Also it saves you preparation time, because you don �t have to prepare it for each time you teach that material. You can use the same ppt for revision later on. It �s also fantastic to use for reading(not to mention how many photocopies less you have to make if the text is in ppt) - if each slide contains only a fragment of a text, you can keep them guessing, debate the text bit by bit (vocabulary as well as the content), and suspense is always a great thing in reading. Their minds work much better if you don �t give them all the data at once. Plus, not all your sts read at the same speed, and this way you sort of keep the balance of concentration. The eye-to-eye is present again, so interaction is a lot better. There �s also this great visual element - humans are visual creatures - if sth is written in huge letters, on a wall, and in colourful form, all age groups will memorise it a lot better than if it �s always in plain letters on the �boring � board. (Your ppt can also have answers/key, so you can display it for them.) I love using ppts in classrooms - I even use motivational texts or prepare lyrics as in karaoke. Not to mention having a ppt when you rehearse a play with your sts - they don �t carry around their papers and they memorise the text faster.

25 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Check out this! There was a huge discussion about it several years ago.

Regards

25 May 2010     

sarahjane68
Germany

Thanks everyone for your replies. They were very helpful! I think I need to try and produce some powerpoints of my own now. I �ve no idea how they �ll turn out but nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!

Thanks again everyone!

25 May 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Many people here have wonderful ppts and I have to admit that, just by using them, I have learned a lot about how to improve my own ppts! Best of luck, Sarahjane

25 May 2010