Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Clip art    

Clip art

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Clip art

Hi everyone!

Could you tell me, please, if it �s allowed to use clip arts from here. How to understand if the usage of a picture is legal. Every clip art have its author, so how do I know which clip art I can/can �t use. Thanks a lot for your attention.� �

25 May 2010      

s.lefevre
Brazil

This is a question I have been asking myself since the new rules. On the small picture there is no watermark, but, if you enlarge it, there is a huge watermark. So, I think it is not allowed, but as I said, I �m not sure.

25 May 2010     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

I �ve downloaded a small picture and enlarged it. It �s vague when enlarged but there �s no watermark. So can I use a small picture?

25 May 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Alena

Sometimes this is tricky, but in this case, as you can see clearly, under each graphic you have a link for information about price. If you click, you get a larger picture with a visible watermark
Clipart - a dancing cartoon 
cat. fotosearch 
- search clipart, 
illustration, 
drawings and vector 
eps graphics images
I wouldn �t take the risk. Besides, I consider that graohic designers deserve our respect - this is their job.
Have a nice day.
linda

25 May 2010     

misseleonora
Argentina

It would be a good idea if one of those incredible members that are always contributing with interesting sites to visit, could give us at least a short list with SAFE CLIP ARTS.
I am very unsure of which ones are allowed too.

25 May 2010     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Dear Olindalima,�

I used to think that people pay for better quality and for vector graphic, so that real designers could change the picture. There are two pictures, the first one (on the first page) is JPG - just a photo- and the second one (if you click on it) is a good work in vector, that is something to be paid for.

25 May 2010     

munhe
Spain

To all,
I have the same question. I understand I can use the ones under �free clip art�. Is this correct? It is confusing for me.

The link Alena is asking I can see two types:

1. RF Libres de Derechos which means Free of Right. I guess we can use as long as we keep it with the water mark.

2. RM Derechos Gestionados which means negotiated right. I understand the clipart you buy with the limitations.

Here is the license from photosearch:

PERMITTED USAGE
Comp Use: ILLUSTRATION WORKS grants you a personal, nontransferable, nonexclusive right to copy the images you have selected onto your computer hard drive and to use the image and any derivative works or copies (collectively, the �Image�) on one computer and with one user at a time only in the United States. The Image may only be copied, modified and incorporated in materials for comprehensive layouts (�Comps�). The Comps can only be used as in-house presentations, storyboards, or rough draft designs for yourself or your clients. Additional Use: ILLUSTRATION WORKS grants you the non-exclusive right to use the Images according to the rights selected and indicated on the menu of the online licensing process. ILLUSTRATION WORKS � Invoice will set forth the details of the order and conditions of use. Unless otherwise agreed, use of any Image is limited to one year from date of invoice. To obtain exclusive rights, you must contact an account representative at ILLUSTRATION WORKS - [email protected], or call our office:...

Thanks

Carmen

25 May 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

This discussion has been going on and on and from my POV there �s only one safe spot:
PUBLIC DOMAIN CLIPART

All the rest, it depends. It depends on what the website where you found them tells you that can be done with their art, and even if you paid for the use of them, that doesn �t mean that you can upload them to a website like Eslprintables.com

Manon and Victor have received warnings from iclipart.com (as said by Manon) saying that this website cannot contain their art because it is considered to be RE-distributing them. And they are REALLY famous around here.

For me, I take random pics from Google, and of course, the galleries I �ve found under PD or ROYALTY FREE+FREE DOWNLOAD on the web, and I hope for the best, but if there �s a watermark (in the small or enlarged size), it sure means that it cannot be used without payment and even so, under some conditions.

I think that �s it.
Hugs, Bruna

25 May 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello again

Copyright is a very difficult matter and, as far as I know, the rules are not the same worldwide. Not saying yes or no, as I said before,I" wouldn �t take the risk " this is what I �ve just found about this issue, here
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/royalty+free

Royalty-free

Royalty-free describes material (typically graphics such as stock photography and icons, but also sound such as music loop samples) that may be used for profit, without paying royalties. Royalty-free media is usually acquired for a �one time only � fee, although public domain imagery and many works created under a copyleft license are also usable without paying royalties or an initial fee.

In commercial design, publishing, advertising, web design, etc., images are used as a key to awaken interest in a text or to illustrate it, or may stand on their own. Picture editors rely heavily on the millions of images that are available from various sources. This saves time and the considerable expense of hiring photographers to shoot on location. It was once usual for a picture buyer to browse through a photo library�s stock or to have a selection delivered from which to choose. The Internet has drastically changed the way in which pictures are browsed; with today�s digital delivery methods, images may be searched for and acquired online.

The use of a stock photograph from a photo library may be also charged on a Rights Managed license basis for a specific, one-time use at a rate determined by a combination of factors: the time for which it is required, the purpose, the print run or circulation of the publication, territory, etc.

There is also "royalty-free" stock photography, particularly microstock photography. This does not mean that an image may be used without payment. What it means is that a one-time fee or subscription gives the right to use an image in a publication according to the terms agreed upon, with no license fees being paid for further use.

Many true free-picture agencies exist today. Organizations such as this strive to make available pictures to the Internet community, charging nothing for them but with the expectation that users will publicise the provider in every way possible. In this case the images are free for non-commercial use.

There are other websites that offer free images. These images are not to be considered as "Public Domain" images. It is important to read the Terms of Usage, and to remember that according to the copyright laws, the author is the copyright owner. The author has the right to do anything with the image, including later on removing it from a free picture website and start selling it. In doubt contact the author to ask for written permission..

Hope it may help, at least to show, how careful we have to be.

Bye, hugs

linda

25 May 2010     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot to all.

25 May 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

What is Fotosearch?

Publitek, Inc., dba Fotosearch is a provider of royalty free and rights managed stock photography, illustrations, maps, video, and audio. We bring together many different stock agencies to provide "The World �s stock photography at one website."� The products on Fotosearch can be licensed and easily downloaded for use in your advertisements, promotional materials, websites, etc. When you purchase a license to use an image, video clip, or audio clip, you do so based on the license agreement of the publisher of that particular content. The license agreement will be presented to you before purchase confirmation.

25 May 2010     

1    2    Next >