Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > desert island v. deserted island    

desert island v. deserted island

zeline
France

desert island v. deserted island

Hi everyone!

I �m about to start a new topic with my students about being lost on a desert/ deserted island....

is there  a difference between : desert / deserted island ? Which one would be more appropriate for my lesson?

Does �desert � island imply no one has ever set foot on it and �deserted �, there used to be some people out there but not anymore???

thanks for helping ;-)

have a nice Sunday!

Zeline

30 May 2010      

aquarius_gr
Greece

Exactly what you said!

30 May 2010     

libertybelle
United States

A deserted island doesn �t mean that no one has set foot on it.  On the contrary - when you desert from something - you leave it.  Like deserting from the military.
So I would assume that a deserted island is one where no lives at the moment, but there could have been people there at one time.

You also have the word desolate - which is also a place no one lives.
I wonder if the Virgin islands were once like this?

regarding your question - you can be lost on a deserted island.

30 May 2010     

jannabanna
France

We say "Lost on a desert island"

A desert island or uninhabited island is an island that has yet to be (or is not currently) populated by humans. Uninhabited islands are often used in movies or stories about shipwrecked people, and are also used as stereotypes for the idea of "paradise". Some uninhabited islands are protected as nature preserves and some are privately owned.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,

30 May 2010     

zeline
France

Thanks a lot for your help!

30 May 2010