Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Student at intermediate level    

Student at intermediate level

carinita
Argentina

Student at intermediate level

Hi, all!!!! I �m about to start working as a private teacher for a female student who is 28 As she has already attended courses of english I plan to help her brush up her english using a coursebook for intermediate level students

I don�t know from where to start What should I do before starting with the coursebook? Is taking a diagnostic test a good option?
Please, write baaackk

1 Jun 2010      

kmochniak
Poland

I think a diagnostic test is a good option, but what I usually do is to take a book one level lower, note the most important grammatical and vocabulary issues and check Ss � knowledge in a conversation. Less time-consuming and more enjoyable:) At least for me:)

That �s what I do. Hope to have been of a little help!

Kasia

2 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

I had a private English student a few years back and I think Kasia �s suggestion is excellent. You might also want to use the first class to get some idea of her expectations - what she wants the classes for and how realistic she is about progressing. Does she want to use English primarily to communicate or is she intending to take an exam, such as First Certificate ir TOEFL eventually?

It might also be helpful to find out how she learns - does she respond better to visual stimulus or does she prefer an auditory style? Does she like to do things ro would she rather read and write? Find words she might find difficult and get her to spell them out loud or write them down and see which she finds easier. The bonus of a one-to-one is that you can plan your classes entirely according to her needs!!!

Good luck!

Lindsey

2 Jun 2010     

Chafik Boufrioua
Morocco

Hi! Well, you already know your learner �s level as being "intermediate", so if this is your first class with her, you may give her a placement test which has to be a bit challenging. It may include vocabulary, grammar (multiple choice exercises would be better) Another reading test may be a useful thing to assing to check how she interacts with texts as well as  her comprehension level.

After this placement stage, and I suppose she is going to be well at grammar, I suggest you should focus on reading activities that triggers communication. I mean try choose topic that may help you make her speak and use the language because when you are teaching an intermediate learner, you should give priority to make her fluent. Meanwhile, include some grammar within these reading tasks implicitly to seek accuracy and brush up her English as you had already said in your message. Avoid teaching simple, easy things! Her level is fine, so enrich her vocabulary, expose her to new sentence structures!! 

I believe you have a lot to give, so just plan what you want to do so that you won �t get lost in a crowd of activities without tracing or having objectives well determined. Your plannification is going to be based on the placement test. It will diagnoze the linguistic holes you will have to fill.

Anyway, I am sure you are going to do well. Please, if you need some textbooks or activities, feel free to let me know.

Regards!!
Chafik

2 Jun 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Great ideas!! Thank you all for your help Thumbs Up

2 Jun 2010     

Lindax
Ukraine

If you �have�already determined her level as intermediate, you don`t need any placement tests.�

You better use one of these ideas

http://eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=286503#thetop

Then show her a little video �( Real English series on youtube.com) to check her aural reception.�

Let her ask you questions to find 10 things in common with you.

Ask her to tell a secret about her.

Have a look here

http://eslprintables.com/forum/search.asp?query=first+lesson&username=&fromday=0&frommonth=0&fromyear=0&today=0&tomonth=0&toyear=0&B4=Search

Have a great day!

2 Jun 2010