Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > only received or just received    

only received or just received

missluly
Fiji

only received or just received

hi !!! i would like to see what the dif is between them, thanks in advance. !!!

4 Jun 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi,

-just received = informal for "received not much time ago"

-only received = you expected to receive more "material" than you did ;o)

-only just received would be a combination of both, meaning = emphasize that you received it not much time ago

Regards

4 Jun 2010     

missluly
Fiji

i got it thanks but if you want to say that you have only received it and not checked ? 

4 Jun 2010     

missluly
Fiji

IS IT UNCHECKED???? I DONT THINK SO:(

4 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

�only received � can also be a time reference, as distinct from quantity. It emphasises that you received it a short time go, but not neccesarily as recently as �just received �

e.g. �I only received the report yesterday � as distinct from �I just received the report � (e.g. it was given to me 10 minutes ago).

�I(�ve) only received the first 2 pages of the fax � would mean that the following pages have not been received. �I(�ve) just received the first 2 pages of the fax � could mean that the other pages are being received but the first 2 pages are the only ones fully received OR it could mean that you have the first 2 pages ONLY & have not received the rest (this is not formally correct English but is commonly heard in countries like Australia).

Cheers,
AB

5 Jun 2010