Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Ask for help!    

Ask for help!

savvinka
Russian Federation

Ask for help!

Dear colleages,

May I ask you to correct my question,please  : Does the cinema or the theatre play  more important part in the entertainment of an average Englishman ?
 I �m not sure that I �m right. Can we ask the same question in some other ways?

Thank you
Olga

5 Jun 2010      

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello Olga, 

I think your sentence is Ok, although I �m not sure if I exactly understand what you want to say. Is your intention to compare those two ( the cinema and theatre?) If you �re interested in another ways of saying that, I would suggest:

Speaking about the (ways of) entertainment of an average Englishman, which do you think play more important part - the cinema or the theatre?

Is it the cinema or the theatre that plays more important part in the....?

I hope I �m not mistaken, let �s wait for another opinions,

regards, zuzana

5 Jun 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Zuzana,thanks a lot!
I wanted to compare and yr sentence  Is it the cinema or the theatre that plays more important part in the... sounds great. Now I �ve understood my mistake.

5 Jun 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

It was my pleasure to help, Olga,  btw, your original sentence is very similar to our Slovakian way of saying it, I suppose it �s common for all Slavic languages, that is why I was confused a bit (lost somewhere between Slovak and English :))

z.

5 Jun 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Yes, yes, Zuzana, I feel the same sometimes...

5 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

I �d like to make one small correction to both of you. It should be "a more important part". That �s easy for a Russian to overlook, since you don �t have "a" (I �m talking about the article, not the letter) in your language. Slovak probably doesn �t, either, but I don �t know anything about Zuzana �s language.

Bruce

5 Jun 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Bruce, hello! thanks for the correction, honestly, I was thinking of adding "a" before "part", but I wasn �t totally sure, since this word is my weakness Embarrassed And yes, you �re right, in Slovak we have no articles ( I guess it �s a common feature for all Slavic languages)

z.

5 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

Hi Bruce you are correct, the article �a � would be required.
I �m just going to c+p the original sentence here.

Does the cinema or the theatre play  more important part in the entertainment of an average Englishman ?
This is how i would write it.

Does the cinema, or the theatre, play a  more important role in an average, Englishman �s entertainment?

Word order seems to be the problem. Hope this helps.

6 Jun 2010