Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar Q: "near" & "nearby"    

Grammar Q: "near" & "nearby"

hieu_ngoc
Canada

Grammar Q: "near" & "nearby"

I plan on giving a lesson to my intermediate adult students about the uses of "near" & "nearby." It �s irritating when they describe every place with "nearby + the (place)." Could someone please give me a simple and logical explanation as to when to use "near" & "nearby?" Some examples I have are:

1) Nearby, is the school.
2) The school is nearby.
3) The school is near the park.
4) The children play near the school.

*I just need a logical grammar explanation or a worksheet I can download. I tried the search function, but came up with no results. Thanks!

6 Jun 2010      

magneto
Greece

Hi there!
The truth is I usually go with my instinct when choosing between these two and I had never really thought about that question. I couldn �t find anything in my grammar books, but I found this on the net: http://yvonnecrawford.com/2010/05/18/near-vs-nearby/
Hope it helps!

6 Jun 2010     

hieu_ngoc
Canada

Star Thanks magneto! The author of the website you suggested gave a very straight forward answer about the differences between "near" and "nearby."

6 Jun 2010     

Laly59
Spain

The difference it�s: nearby is an adverb like: She lives nearby+site
                               nearby is adjetive like:There is a nearby village.

I hope this can help you a bit, a hug

6 Jun 2010