Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Computer expertise needed!!    

Computer expertise needed!!

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Computer expertise needed!!

Hy, guys! I �m nowhere near being a hacker, but I have always managed to get along just fine with my pc. Yesterday, we had a huge fight. I know I said things I didn �t mean, but now �he � simply does not want to cooperate! And I need your help!!!
LOL

All jokes aside, the thing is: I was making a ws, using MWord 2007 (Windows 7), and after I saved the document, I reopened and continued working on it. And when I wanted to save it again, I couldn �t! It says that it �s a "reading only" (is this the term in computering?)! And I have to save it as a new file. All that being said, now I CANNOT delete the first file. It is stuck in my computer, and the "reading only" thingy of the PROPERTIES is not even checked.

Well... I don �t know what to do! I really, really, so do hope someone can help me in here, because I do not know any other computer forums where I could get the answer to what the heck is going on with my computer.

If that has happened to you, please tell me how you solved it.!
Thanks (A LOOOOOOOOOOOT) in advance!

Hugs, Bruna.

8 Jun 2010      

Lindax
Ukraine

I`m not an expert with computers as well, but once or twice I had the same problem.

I highlighted all and then copied it into a new docx. That was it! Then I deleted the old docx.

Hope it helps.

8 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Can you please post the exacy error message that Word gives you?

kind regards,
AB

8 Jun 2010     

English lover
Portugal

Hi Bruna!
I had this problem a couple of times myself, and I managed to trick the machine by renaming the worksheet. It worked for me. Try your luck!

CR

8 Jun 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hi guys, first of all, thanks so much for replying.
The thing is, Linda, that I simply cannot delete the first file, and the second one (which I save with another name - worksheet2.docx, for example - also has the same condition.

And AB, I cannot say how happy I am you were one of the members to read my message!!! LOL. But there isn �t an error message, it simply says that my file is now a "reading only" file (my computer is in Portuguese, don �t know if that �s the right term in English), but the box is not checked, and I cannot undo or delete anything.

8 Jun 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hey, CR. Just tried it. My pc doesn �t allow me to do ANYTHING with that file except opening it for reading.

Cry

I don �t know what I could have possibly done to him to deserve this!!!
Ouch

8 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

OK, let �s see if any of this may help...

What antivirus software do you use? Is there any way you can exempt your Word files from being scanned? If you can, then you should do this (the only �viruses � you can pick up from Word documents would be macro viruses, & you can avoid them by setting your Word documents so they will not run macros without your permission).

In Word �s �options � uncheck �allow background saves �.

& then reboot!

See how that goes!
Cheers,
AB

P.S. Do you use the document preview option in your explorer? This may also cause a problem.

8 Jun 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

AB, I use AVIRA. Wouldn �t know how to do what you said.
But I uncked the box "allow backgroung saves" in OPTIONS, and still nothing.
I cannot do anything with my file, and if I create another one with another name, it stays the same.

When I try to delete it, the pc tells me that it �s opened already, and I cannot delete it because of that, but it �s not opened. Could it be anything else? Because my husband formatted my computer yesterday, after that happened, but it �s still the same as before, I �m guessing it can �t be a virus.

8 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there Bruna,

Have you tried right clicking on the document and opening as a Wordpad document??

8 Jun 2010     

alien boy
Japan

No, it �s not a virus.

Do you use the �preview pane � turned on in Windows Explorer? this can sometimes make your computer believe that you have a document already �open � in a program, thereby making it �read only � as the document appears to be in use already.

Cheers

P.S. I�m off to bed in a moment... it�s almost midnight here & I have a very busy teaching day tomorrow!
I�ll check this thread again tomorrow night & see how things are going.

Goodnight!

8 Jun 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I can �t believe it!!! I think that was it! Because I had just tried to cancel it, and it suddenly started working again!!!

But still, there is one that I still cannot delete, but it �s an old file, that I had even fogotten about it, but now I see that it still doesn �t go!
But I can �t say how happy I am with your help, guys!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

8 Jun 2010     

1    2    Next >