Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Just a matter of curiosity!    

Just a matter of curiosity!

savvinka
Russian Federation

Just a matter of curiosity!

Dear colleages,
 Once I heard smb used to say "time" instead of "tense" describing a grammar  category. Is it acceptable in yr countries? Or is it rubbish !? Or I have probably
 missed  smth, haven �t I?

8 Jun 2010      

prevailingboy
Turkey

Hello,I heard such a usage but only in speeches,I didn �t come across a document writing �past perfect time � etc. I think it is true in the speech,but not preferable in writing.My answer is: it is rubbish!! :)

8 Jun 2010     

imanito
Morocco

hello!

Not exactly. It �s not used like that.there is a difference between the two.

-Tense is a grammatical structure.

-Time describes when a certain situation has exactly occured.

For example, "The plane takes off at 7:00 tonight"

= The tense in this sentence is present simple tense but it refers to a future time because there is tonight.

I would like you to check this table in this following website http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verb-tenses_sys-tense-time.htm

it is so interesting.
I hope I could help.

8 Jun 2010     

imanito
Morocco

I had an epiphany Tongue 
I have a simpler explanation.
Tense has to do with verb inflection.It is what you see in front of you;that is, what is written or said (Explicit)
Whereas time, it is the meaning regardless of the real form of the verb (implicit)

I hope my humble epiphany is correct and helped Big smile

8 Jun 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Thank you, Imanito for yr kind explanation,
Of course, I know the difference between two words.
I simply suspected as it often happened with the languages, the borders are being rubbed away and people start using the words in a new way. I heard it from a respected person who is considered to be a very good English speaker, so I thought that it was probably acceptable ...

8 Jun 2010     

Anna P
Brazil

In Portuguese, verbal tenses are called �tempos verbais �.  Since �tempo � means time, maybe savvinka has a good point. 

9 Jun 2010     

yulya_esl
Ukraine

Tense - Perfect, Continuous, Simple

Time - Past, Present, Future

9 Jun 2010