Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > 3 nice ideas :)    

3 nice ideas :)

Rainboow
Poland

3 nice ideas :)

Hello everyone Smile
holidays are coming and my students are really tired and they don �t want to learn English, I told them even not to bring books for the lessons. I can understand them that �s why I have 3 great ideas which work with my students. Here are they:

1) This is well known game, but I changed it a little bit Wink. Students have 2 minutes to fill one column, then we chack, when we check all the letters and words students have to write funny story using these words. My story is:
Ben comes from Belgium and he always brings with him his brown boots in which brilliant bugs hide from time to time.

The funniest story wins.

2) Scrabble, my example

3) and the last
The psychiatrist ;) (that �s my name for this game, you can use different)

Every student gets a sheet of paper (white), they cannot write anything.
I play music, they listen for 30 seconds and they have to draw sth that somes to their mind, then they exchange the sheets with sb else to listen the music and draw again (up to 6 or 8 times - depends on the group), the pictures cannot be repeated, and one person can have one sheet only once.
After everybody finishes i tell the student: "You are a psychiatrist and you see the photo of sb �s dream". And they have to do 2 exercises:
1. CHARACTER (write 3 adjectives of this person �s character):
-
-
-
2. What does the dream men? (they have to interpret it in 2 or 3 sentences).

When they finish everyone has to show the picture and read what he/she thinks about the photo, others can agree or not.

I hope this exercises will be usefull.

Cheers,
Monika

10 Jun 2010      

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Thanks for your ideas.

10 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Great ideas, Monika! Thank you for sharing them with us!

10 Jun 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

Thanks for sharing your great ideas with us.

10 Jun 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

great! thanks a lot, i really like the first game, it �s very easy + it �s a well-known game + your way of using the words to write a sentence is very creative!!!

10 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

Thx!! I - too - love n�1. I �ll have my students make up their own stories!
Thumbs Up Sylvie

10 Jun 2010     

frenchfrog
France

Yes, we play the first game a lot in France (we call it �baccalaureat �). But I �ve never thought of using all the words in just one sentence. It is a great idea!

We have another game which we call "cadavre exquis" (Exquisite corpse) LOL
You can find more about it here.
Basically, players write in turn on a sheet of paper, fold it to conceal what they have written, and pass it to the next player. At the end, you unfold the paper and read the sentence (sometimes some modifications are necessary).
You can decide that player 1 will write about when?, player 2 about who?, player 3 about the action (you can impose a tense), etc ...
Then you can end up with sentences like: "Yesterday a blue hen was singing in my bathroom..."

10 Jun 2010     

stefania.r
Italy

Great ideas, thanks for sharing!!! :)

10 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

Do you know the Picnic game ? Tell your students you are going to take them on a picnic, & they must tell you what they �re going to bring. If the student brings something starting with the same letter as his.her name, he can come:  ( Don �t tell them of course!)ie =
Cyril : � I �m going to bring chocolate! �
Ok! You can come!
Nicholas : � I �m going to bring apples! �
Ooops! Sorry Love, you can �t come with us!
It �s fun because the students have to guess why they can �t come.Big smile

Another one ( Intermediate ) : Have a student out of the classroom, & tell him we are all making up a story, you �ll have to ask us questions to find out, but we �ll only answer Yes or No. When the student is away, tell the class you won �t make up a story, but just answer yes if the last word of his question ends with a vowel, & No if it ends with a consonnant! ie =
� Is it happening at school ? �
Class : Noooooooooo!
� Is it in space ?
Class : Yessssssssss!! Is there an animal ? -No! � a human? - No! .... Errr ... �A snake ? - Yes!!! ( But you said there are no animals!!! Class : Stern Smile
It �s great fun, but you can only play it once!LOL We usually end up with fantastic stories!
Sylvie
Ps : I also play Chinese whispers, but you all probably know it! As I�m naughty....I usually pass a sentence such as : � The wicked witch watched the walrus wash�...:o)

10 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you rainbow, frenchfrog and stexstme2 for such good ideas !  Thumbs Up

10 Jun 2010