Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > any computer experts out there?    

any computer experts out there?

juliag
Japan

any computer experts out there?

Good evening all,

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week.

I have encountered a little problem, which firstly I �d like to warn you all about, and secondly if anyone could give me some advice I �d really  appreciate it.

I started to download powerpoint minimizer from a link to a site I found here and immediately my norton anti-virus popped up telling me that my computer had been infected.

I ran a virus check and 2 trojan horse files were found. Norton could delete one of them, but not the other.

My Japanese friend assures me that even if Norton can �t delete it, it will lock it in a folder so that it can �t do anuthing, but I �m not sure if this is true, and can �t seem to find any information about it on the net.

Does anyone know
a) how dangerous trojan horses are?
b) if there is any way to delete them?
c) if Norton is really protecting my computer the way my friend says it is
d) or have any other advice about what I should do in a situation like this.

My work up to Saturday is backed up, but now I �m scared to back up to my external hard drive unless I infect that, too.
e) Does anyone know if that is a real risk and I should continue not to use it, or if I am just being paranoid?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Julia

14 Jun 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Julia,

I have deleted a long, long message.

Have someone remove the Trojan.

Regina

14 Jun 2010     

victor
Spain

Hello Julia,

Yes, it �s true. If the anti-virus can �t remove the trojan, it will block it.
If you are using windows xp, vista, or windows 7, I suggest to restore windows to the previous state:
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
After that, click Restore my computer to an earlier time and then click Next.
Then, you will find a calendar. Choose a date previous to the date when you installed that software, and click next.
After that, your computer will be restored to the state how it was before you installed that trojan.

I hope this helps.

BTW, you said you followed a link from this site. Please tell me where did you find that link. Maybe I �ll have to remove it.

Victor

14 Jun 2010     

juliag
Japan

Dear Regina and Victor,

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply and for your help.
I �m going to try what you suggest Victor, as I have Windows XP. Fingers crossed it works.

I �ve been trying to find the forum post with the link, but I can �t remember the exact terms I put in the search engine function.

I �ll keep on looking after I try putting my computer back, but for now I can give you all the link so that everyone else will know to be careful.

It is the file and powerpoint minimizing option on the right-hand side of this page:

Hope I can save some of the rest of you some trouble and heartache.

Thanks again. Will let you know how it goes.
Julia

14 Jun 2010     

juliag
Japan

Thanks again for all your help.

Unfortunately it didn �t work - it won �t let me put the system back. Doesn �t sound too good, does it?

I did find the link though, it �s the post by agkk here: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=5766

But actually you might not need to delete it as this post actually refers to NXpowerlite, not the pptminimizer I was trying because I couldn �t reduce my files very much with NXpowerlite. I didn �t encounter any problems when I used NX powerlite ont his link, so maybe that is okay.

If anyone else has any ideas, do please let me know. I �ll be very grateful.

14 Jun 2010     

juliag
Japan

Do wonder if Norton was possibly overreacting...

ALthough I couldn �t put my system back and only deleted the said software now Norton can �t find anything, so maybe it was reacting to the software not an actual trojan horse. Not sure, though.

15 Jun 2010