Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Are both correct?    

Are both correct?

S.Reisner
Brazil

Are both correct?

Hi dear friends,
I �ve always learned that this structure: "I told him NOT TO go there" is the only correct one. But I �ve heard lots of native speakers on TV saying "I told him TO NOT go there". Is the second one also acceptable in written English?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Simone

18 Jun 2010      

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Actually, I believe the grammar rule is NOT to separate the infinitive. But there are examples where the EMPHASIS can split them up.
For example:

How to NOT learn English: blah, blah, blah... LOL ;)

I have never heard a native saying: "I told her to not do this", but maybe it �s acceptable as that emphatic form, can �t say for sure, sorry.

But I �m almost sure it �s not grammatically correct.
Hope to have helped.

Bruna.

: )

18 Jun 2010     

sulekra
Australia

I might say it during conversation if I �m speaking faster than I �m thinking, but generally keep the infinitive together. In writing I would always have NOT TO, written down TO NOT looks awfully strange :S

-adam

18 Jun 2010     

S.Reisner
Brazil

Thanks a lot guys. I just wanted to confirm that.  

19 Jun 2010     

dturner
Canada

I would probably not say  "to not", but if I did...... it would be because I �d stopped talking and was thinking of what to say next.  "I told him...... to not go out with that stupid girl!"
dt

19 Jun 2010