Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Medical words    

Medical words

aliciapc
Uruguay

Medical words

I �m finishing a translation for a doctor and couldn �t get the correct word for "p�rdidas" - during pregnancy. Bilingual dictionaries have "leak" but I don �t think that can be used for a person !! Can anyone tell me the translation from Spanish to English ? Thank you !

19 Jun 2010      

Catalina Sorina
Romania

Do you mean "miscarriage" ? Maybe you will find this here:

19 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you, Catalina, and no, it �s not a case of miscarriage. This case study has to do with the process of a pregancy in particular. The woman didn �t have a miscarriage, just "p�rdidas" which made her stay in bed for 4 months ...

19 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

Well, Catalina, there seems to be such a thing as leakage of amniotic fluid, which might be what this is. Here �s a link that mentions it. If you google  pregnancy leak you can find more.

I hope this leads you on the right path,
Bruce

19 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hello Bruce, thank you for your help. In this case study it �s blood, not amniotic fluid but I guess I �ll use "leakage" then, anyway. Thank you again !

19 Jun 2010     

pauguzman
Argentina

I �d say "bleeding". Check your PM

19 Jun 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I agree with Paula.  �Bleeding � it is.

19 Jun 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

In the case you described I would guess it is more connected to amniotic fluid than to blood, also the term "leak" seems much more appropriate to amniotic fluid.  A "leakage" of amniotic fluid would indeed warrant hospitalization since it means there is a risk of infection.
When it is connected to blood, the term �spotting� is also used in cases where the blood loss is relatively minor, �bleeding� would indicate a more serious loss of blood.

19 Jun 2010     

nita551
Spain

I agree with Marion, if it has to do with blood the word used is spotting (staining) or bleeding, depending on the amount of blood lost.

19 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

It can happen that a woman would have a �bleed � during pregnancy. This could lead to miscarriage, but not in all cases. I think the term you are looking for is � a bleed � . If it is a slight amount of blood, this would be called �spotting �.

20 Jun 2010