Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Femme de sel    

Femme de sel

Sonn
Russian Federation

Femme de sel

My dear French speaking collegues!
Could you tell me how the word expression "Femme de sel"  can be translated?
Thanks in advance!

21 Jun 2010      

stexstme
France

Hi Sonn!
I �m sorry I �ve never heard such an expression!Confused The only �Femme de sel � I know comes from the Bible ( Genesis ) : Are you referring to Lot �s wife, who, when looking back on Sodom, was turned into a statue ??? ( French : Femme de Sel - English : Pillar of Salt ...??? Not even sure of the translation!)
ErmmSorry-Sylv �

21 Jun 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

thank you very much, Sylvie!
I �ve forgotten about the context, sorry. Here it is:
Si la poussi�re emporte tes r�ves de lumi�re
Je serai ta lune, ton rep�re
Et si le soleil nous br�le je prierai qui tu voudras
Pour que tombe la neige au Sahara

Si le d�sert est le seul rem�de a tes doutes
Femme de sel je serai ta route
Et si la soif nous br�le je prierai tant qu �il faudra

21 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

Well, Sonn, I would think the poet refers to Lot �s wife...To a French ( educated!LOL) person, it would..
I �d go for Pillar of Salt - IF this is the �name � of Lot �s wife in English... Maybe a Native speaker could help..?
Take care,
Sylvie

21 Jun 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Merci beaucoup, Sylvie!Hug

21 Jun 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

As far as I know, Lot �s wife is not named in the OT and yes, she was indeed turned into a pillar of salt for looking back at Sodom.

21 Jun 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Sonn �s text is from a song.

I �d say Sylvie gave you the best translation.

21 Jun 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Natalia,

This is from the French song �La Neige au Sahara � and the writer (Erick Benzi) may - or may not - have had Lot �s wife in mind when he wrote about a �woman of salt � but maybe we should bear in mind that salt is considered  by most cultures to be a valuable/desirable commodity which must be jealously guarded/protected and this kind of ties in with the general drift of the lyrics. Then again, the writer may be referring to the raging �thirst � which is consuming the lovers and makes them forget about everything which has gone before. 

?

Alex

Edit: oops, just saw Manon�s video clip. Are those Balinese dancers in the Sahara, by the way?

21 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

Interesting! I think Almaz may be right! Maybe it �s just a �woman of salt �??
Confused
Big smile

21 Jun 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

thank you almaz! I knew I knew those words ;)... i just couldn �t say where I had heard that... such an interesting topic!!!
maybe both translations would fit...
take care!

21 Jun 2010