Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help, please ...    

Help, please ...

aliciapc
Uruguay

Help, please ...

Hi all ! Me again with another translation, a cv for a doctor. I �d like to say that he �s been working in the surgery unit of a hospital but without pay : is "honorary" the correct word ? I thought of "pro bono" but it only applies to lawyers ...
Can anyone help me ? Thank you !

24 Jun 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

Would "volunteer" be appropriate?

24 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Yes, "volunteer" sounds good to me, too...Or perhaps "for free"?. I �m not sure you can say that for someone �s work, though.
P.S.:I didn �t know "pro bono" only applied to lawyers...Guess you learn something every day, huh?Wink

24 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Yes, magneto, only to lawyers acc to the dictionary. Thank YOU and MANONSKI  !! Always helpful ! Hug

24 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

Good suggestions, but if you use "free", please don �t say "for free", since the adjective "free" can �t be the object of the preposition "for". It is a very common mistake these days.

I, too, didn �t know about "pro bono". What a great place to learn!

Thanks,
Bruce

24 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank YOU, too, Bruce. I didn �t know about "for free" ... VERY common mistake ( including myself ! .... )

25 Jun 2010     

MarianaC
Argentina

"Ad honorem" is a latin phrase that is understood both in English and in Spanish as the ttype of work you do without getting material benefits, but to gain experience, or simply to help others.
Volunteer is a good one too, although it is more connected with natural disasters.
Maybe non-remunerative could be a good choice as well.
Cheers

25 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Marina, thanks for your help, but according to Longman and Macmillan dictionaries, "non-remunerative" is not an English word ....  "remunerative" is, though ... are you sure it �s ok ?

25 Jun 2010     

pauguzman
Argentina

the web page wordreference.com always helps me with my translations
 I � d say "ad honorem"

25 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you Paula!  Good help !

25 Jun 2010     

plemos
Portugal

Sorry Bruce but you got me puzzled!!! I started wondering what I would say if I wanted to say that I did something without expecting to be paied. So, I went to the OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNER �S DICTIONARY 7th edition page 617:

No payment - costing nothing: Admission is free. Free samples/tickets (...) You can �t expect people to work for free (=without payment)

I have heard this expression all my life, but I �m not a native speaker. Can anybody help a little further???Wacko

25 Jun 2010