Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hi friends!!! Need help!!!    

Hi friends!!! Need help!!!

Isabelucha
Portugal

Hi friends!!! Need help!!!

hi there!
We are going to promote a "summer  camp" in our school. I  will spend a whole day with Ss from 6-8/9 and the other week we �ll have another group 9-12. Each group has about 12 students.So, we need appealing/interesting activities to make these ss interested in the activities and, at the same time, we want to make them have lots of fun and learn.

Our PE colleagues will have Extreme sports for them, our Arts teachers will teach the ss to make some handicrafts, ... and the english teachers want something... wow... if you know what I mean... :-) We already have some ideas, but I know some light will come from this fabulous site!!! HEEELP! please!

29 Jun 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

you could ask the pupils to create and then perform short scenes which, put together, would create a short movie (you could film it and show it at the end of the summer camp)
otherwise i really don �t know...
what ideas have you got so far???
take care

29 Jun 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

You could take the students on a short outing just outstide of the school and have them take pictures.  When you return to the school have them make up a little booklet that describes their outing with each picture they took.

I did this with one of my classes and it was lots of fun.  I don �t know if you have a computer lab at school, but we used our computers and made a little booklet about our outing.  There were a lot of funny pictures and stories that went into our booklet.  The kids play acted a picture and then described it in the booklet.

29 Jun 2010     

annaas
Norway

What about something like this:

29 Jun 2010     

minegurtop
Turkey

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=73078#thetop

TREASURE HUNT ( two days ago ı used these worksheets. my  students love this game.

yesterday

the animal riddles..  perfect..

29 Jun 2010     

isabelle99
Monaco

Why not create a photo-story? kitsch and old-fashioned but fun.

29 Jun 2010     

Ailsa.
United Kingdom

I worked on summer camp last year and the company had some great ideas which I can recommend for fun-learning for kids:

English cafe: Some English-style food & drink is laid out on a table at the front of the class. Tables are laid out as a cafe. Each table has a menu with prices (e.g. biscuit - 10p; 3 crisps - 5p; cup of juice - 10p etc.) Pupils take their seats and look at the menu. Each pupil is given 50p (or whatever you think is best) in either real English or plastic English money. The pupils have to order, pay for and comment about the food - in English. Teacher acts as waiter: taking orders, taking money and bringing the food to the tables. Pupils can also take turns at being the waiter/waitress.

Before this, though, pre-teach the items you want them to practise e.g. �I would like... � �that will be.... � �you �re welcome � etc. etc. but of course you can grade the language as you need for the level. And you can also let the kids look at the money, talk about it, sort it, guess how much each coin is worth etc. etc. as a context-setting activity.

English shop: The teacher is a shop owner selling: postcards of the UK, rail maps, pencils, notebooks - anything you like! Pupils are given some English money and enquire about and buy things from your shop. Also, pupils can take turns at being the teacher �s shop assistant. By the end of the session, each student then has a little bag of English produce to take home. You can let them keep the money, too - if you �re feeling generous!

As with the cafe, you can pre-teach the key items to suit the level.

End of course performance: You could work towards a performance and invite parents & other school teachers on the final day of the summer school. This will give you loads of scope for drama, dance, song, art and media based English lessons. Kids who don �t perform can be backstage, show parents to the seats, design the programmes etc. etc. We did the Jungle Book and adapted it for beginner-level English. It is a wonderful thing for the parents to see their children performing AND speaking English.

29 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I �d choose a story which exists in various versions - e. g. book, movie, cartoon, comic; which has a good soundtrack if possible, and then find wss and ppts for it. The whole day would be concentrated on that story -
the morning: introducing the sts to it using vid or flashcards or pics, then playing various reading games with them in teams to check understanding and reinforce key vocabulary, have writing workshops (depending on the level - elementaries could make posters with pics of main characters and short sentences about them, intermediates could write their favourite parts of the story or make word maps using story vocab, advanced could turn the story into a play or write a review),
midday: if possible watch the movie/cartoon somewhere in the middle of the day to give them sort of a rest, then have a quiz about the story, and in
the afternoon: theatre workshops - some sts can learn to perform the theme song, some can make a video playing the story or even better rehearse the play they wrote before, some can make posters about the story(with drawings and vocabulary - sts love writing key words in beautifuuly designed colourful letters), so that...
the evening: you can gather them all together to perform and show what they performed (you can have sb video it and photograph it and then post it online)
The key is that you may choose the same story for all sts (Arthur and the Minimoys, The 5th Element, Spiderman, X-Men, Harry Potter, Inkheart...) and simply adapt the level of difficulty for each of these groups.
It takes lots of preparation and attractive materials, as well as an energetic and enthusiastic teacher (which you have no problems with), but, trust me, the results are memorable!

29 Jun 2010     

Isabelucha
Portugal

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!! You are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew I would see the light in here!!!!!!!!!! I �m bursting with ideas!!! Tomorrow I will have a meeting with my colleague and we �ll have a wonderful discussion on this! I have no words to express my appreciation. I �m truly touched!!! I copy pasted your posts!Hug

30 Jun 2010