Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > BRAZIL 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

BRAZIL 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lshorton99
China

Come on everyone. It �s one month, it �s almost over and it �s fun!

2 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Bruna,

And for the Brazilian members, it �s about time we start thinking about how our country is, and how it should be...

Is this little bit of advice for the forum or the cafe?

2 Jul 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Yeah... I most certainly agree that I (Edit: most people) like the fun that the World Cup brings, at least for the countries participating of it.

However, regarding to this community, I was thinking exactly about the point Manon raised. Sometimes important English related things are pushed out of the forum very quickly and many people don �t even see it because we also use the forum to talk about trivial stuff, that are neither related to teaching, nor to the members.

I also like to see posts where members can interact, in a fun way. Sometimes I think we should consider a little bit more about the intent of the cafe, though.

Anyways, I was just pointing out my opinion.

Best of luck to those who can still cheer for their countries!
Wink

EDIT: @ Almaz, I even said "since I am on the subject", which means, if I hadn�t written that post, I would never raise that in here. And either way, politics should always be of teachers� concern, but I don�t believe soccer must, even though it can. (modals freak LOL)

2 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Bruna, your "since I �m on the subject" piece occupies a darned sight more space than your initial relevant paragraph. We all have our own political burdens to bear/share/do something about but don �t always feel the need to splash it on this forum. You �ve seen what happens when members feel that their political/religious views should be aired here and damn everyone else who disagrees. 

I also feel that your understanding of football as an expression of nationalism (in its political sense) leaves a lot to be desired (freaky modals aside).

Just my opinion, of course...

Alex

Edit: So, back to the original question: is your advice more suited for the caf� or for the forum? 

2 Jul 2010     

baiba
Latvia

2 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

You �re right , Bruna ... bread and circus politics take place here, too ... Apart from that, what I was objecting to, was two members being unkind to each other because of a football game , come on !! Uruguay is fighting the quarters right now, and as I �m on our winter break, I �ve just taken a wonderful nap ... see ?  It �s only a game ... that �s what I can �t understand ... Love to all, peace !!

2 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yeah, it �s only a game, but, oddly enough, justification to start a war in some places. Check Ryszard Kapuściński �s �The Soccer War �, for example.

Bread and Circuses, indeed!

Oh, and by the way, well done, Holland!

2 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

You �re right , Almaz ... BTW  We are in the semi finals !!!

2 Jul 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@ Almaz,

Some people even say that there are 3 subjects which never lead to a �peaceful � conversation:
POLITICS, RELIGION AND (tah-naaaa) SOCCER. And I always think to myself, "well, it depends on the (kind of) people discussing them.

I, for one, am totally and utterly favorable to any political discussion. Not so much as to religion, and not at all to soccer. But that �s me.

What you mean is that I should have posted a part of what I said than adding a "check out the rest of my opinion on the cafe", where I would write about the political issue? I just didn �t get it.

I only added that because it was a complement of my "We have the cafe for this kind of stuff".

But ok, some people do not like politics... I once read something like: "The doom of those who dislike politics is being ruled by the ones who do".

Just to finish the subject, yes, even though I wouldn �t start a thread about what I said, my opinion is this, politics is suitable for a community of teachers, and I dare to say, vital.

2 Jul 2010     

maria da rosa
Brazil

Bruna,

" I, for one, am totally and utterly favorable to any political discussion. Not so much as to religion, and not at all to soccer. But that �s me."

I �m so happy that people are different because I don �t see any problem post about the World Cup and I didn �t see any rule against it. I agree what you said about our country, but if Brazil is a mess it �s not because we have circus, it �s because people like you and me don �t do anything to change.
We just watch and vote.It �s a ilusion because our Constituion has made by the same group of people that lead our country, to sum up,a gang.
Sorry friends I �ll not talk about this subject anymore.

Let �s go to the circus!!!! GO GERMANY GO!
Bye. 

3 Jul 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >